Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Straight Through - Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

ensorg

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
GB
Hi,

IF I have a straight-through cable and want to convert it to a crossover cable, would I be to put a coupler on the end and attach a crossover cable?
I assume that one end of a crossover cable is straight-through and the other is crossed so this should work??

That would work. I have also seen cross-over couplers. You would use this with 2 straight throug cables.

you can do it any way you want, as long as when you are finished the wire mapping is this..

looking at a connector wire down tab facing away from you.

well.. 12345678 and 36145278 is not the exact #s for the pairs, but it works.

The actual standard goes are follows..
A)
White Orange
Orange
White Green
Blue
White Blue
Green
White Brown
Brown

B(Cross)
White Green
Green
White Orange
Blue
White Blue
Orange
White Brown
Brown

You might want to consider getting in the habit of doing a full crossover cable, one which swaps the blue and brown pairs as well. By doing this, the cable will also work on gigabit ethernet. It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back