Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Straight out of college, what to consider before buying a car 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkrav

MIS
Jul 26, 2006
US
I just landed my first job as a reporting analyst at a small healthcare company. I currently drive a Honda, and it is the same model that my manager drives (however he has a family, it is the 4 door family sedan, whereas I am single and want something sporty). I was thinking about getting a new vehicle, possibly a Volkswagen Jetta/GTI or Volvo S40, priced around the mid 20's. My Honda got me through college, and has some visual blemishes and smells of smoke, but now that I quit smoking I want something tasteful and respectable but not flashy. Should I be worried about sending the wrong message when I show up to work driving a car that is worth 5x more than my boss's? What other issues deserve consideration before purchasing your first car (as it relates to how it will affect the way you are perceived at work)?

You don't live in the UK, I am guessing (the word 'Sedan' gives this away).
Here if you have just left college You will be under 25, and you have a 'starting job'.

How would you be perceived at work in the UK.
Hmm Newish VW Golf GTI.

So Either...
You are a Drug dealer or
You have very rich and understanding parents.

Why. Well in the UK you cannot drive without insurance and it will cost you well into 4 figures (GBP) per year to insure this car.

How do I know?
My wife's young cousin age 18 insuring his first car (a 17 year old Honda civic 1.4L worth £25) was quoted £2000 GBP.

It must be different in the USA!!

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

bkrav,
Steve is not really factoring in the US 'dress to impress' situation. A new car will say 'this guy wants to go places'. Smokey honda says 'I'm here for the mail-room McJob'. Here in the UK, 'understated style' allows we married executives to feel comfortable in a 3 year-old hatchback and not worry about the 20-something new guy in a new car or his profitable dealing [wink].

Having said that, I guess that if you arrived on day 1 in a dumped and de-chromed Hummer or a Cadillac Escalade with 22" spinners, you might get a few people trying to score off you or engage you in a drive-by.

Get a GTi or a Miata and enjoy your driving and your youth. S40 Volvo is a bit dull in comparison. I suspect your boss is saving money for college fund/mortgage/mistress rather than blowing it at a dealership.

soi la, soi carré

Yeah, my first car cost £1250 FC at the age of 21! That was only a 1.3 Corolla.

I wouldn't worry too much about driving a car that costs more than your boss'. It's quite common for single (or at least, un-married) young people to spend a large chunk of their income on a half-decent car.

Unless of course, you are a drug dealer...

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

You guessed right I am from the good ol USA. The cost of the is vehicle is about 10 grand less than a years salary, so financed out over 3-5 years (and trading in my $3K car) makes the payments very manageable, and I have a very good credit rating so I will not need a cosigner. Insurance will cost about $1K per year since I have a clean record and took drivers Ed in high school, and there's also a discount for having a vehicle w/ABS, anti-theft, and air bags. Also keep in mind that I live with my folks, so this, $50 cell phone bill, and my college loans are my only expenses.

But I think all that is beside the point; I was trying to focus on how this could impact my career. Is it possible that I might get passed over on a promotion/salary increase because someone might think 'oh he doesn’t need the money' or because someone driving a 17-year-old car could use it more?

By the way, I am relatively new to this site, are most people on here from across the pond?

Your grading should never be influenced by how much money you do or do not have, in my humble opinion. If that wasn't the case, I know I'd look elsewhere for work!

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

drlex, you do bring up a good point. I think showing that I am willing to work hard for what I want will show ambition, especially since the people that have had my job previously just went through the motions and didn't try to improve anything.

Grenage,
I have only been here a month so I hope that is now how things work around here. I was just asking if anyone has some first hand knowledge they are willing to share.

My first car was a Renault 5 --- not the well known GTT (1.4 turbo) but the Monaco (1.7, leather, electric, low profile tyres, metallic paint etc ---- would leave a GTT standing top end, but slower away from lights!!!)

I did get a bit of stick at work, cos it was newer and betterer and faster than some of my "peers" but it never affected pay / dept standing etc.

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Why not a 07 Civic Si? Other then incredibly efficient/beautiful/fast/cheap it was also the motor trend car of the year.

I would stay away from volkswagons just due to their maintanence history going down and being stereotyped a yoga loving hiker.

To make an impression but not be too impressive I would look at the older model acura 2.1tl.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

I don't think anybody has ever noticed or cared what car I drive in all the places I've worked (mind you, that's tended to be in pretty big places with big anonymous car parks). Just get something that you can afford, that you like and that doesn't break down. If you keep having to take time off cos your car is being fixed, that will be noticed...

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Of the two, I'd go with the GTI. I have a strong preference for Japanese cars though, they cost a lot less to fix and last longer (your current civic being a prime example it sounds like). I currently drive a Lancer that I like very much, and it gets me about 32 mpg in my daily driving. It's sporty enough for me, but I'm not sure how sporty you are looking for. I believe that since I got mine they have put a 2.4l engine in the model I have, that would certainly help (although it probably hurts the gase mileage).

I wouldn't worry about 'showing up' anyone, especially your boss. You may have a nicer car, but I'm sure he has the nicer paycheck!

Go on a lot of test drives, and enjoy the new car that you choose!

Alex

It's a magical time of year in Philadelphia. Eagles training camp marks the end of another brutal season of complaining about the Phillies.

I drive an beat up, old Peugeot 106 diesel. Worth about £500 tops, usually full of junk and old phone hardware. If it made any difference to your salary, surely I deserve a pay rise.
Granted I also own a Tiger Super Six, which will slaughter anything in the car park when it comes to acceleration and cornering, but I rarely drive that to work.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I drive the cheapest used car I can find that is reliable and has a working heater (I had a pickup truck without heat once, never again). If the type/year/color/price or anything else about the vehicle I drive concerns my bosses or co-workers in any way, or in anyway impacts my raises and/or promotions, I go work somewhere else, where people are actual human beings with real lives.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

bkrav,
Most of the people on this site are from the U.S. (see the Georgraphy tab on the LHS of the page - link to - it's just with the current time, most of your compatriots are still pushing up some zeds, sorry zees, in bed. You're now stuck with the Brits posting as to how cheap/old/kanckered their first car was - refer back to original post...

soi la, soi carré

Done the beat-up too ........ 10 yr old Astra bought off ebay for €70 !!!!!! :)

Now have kiddie transporter (7 seater) complete with twin dvd screens in the back !!!!

I've driven Honda's for the last 15 years & I am sold on the quality, dependability, and resale value retention. They consistently appear in the annual Car & Driver "10 Best" issue and Consumer Reports loves them as well.

If you liked the reliability of your Honda then take a look at a Honda Accord Coupe.

I have an EX V6 Coupe and it fulfills my needs for getting from pointA to pointB in style, comfortable seating for four adults, delivers 25+ mpg around town, and (most importantly)is utterly dependable.

The new Civic Coupes also catches my eye.

My cars, in order-

'68 Olds Cutlass
'68 VW Bug
'74 VW Rabbit (made in Germany, not PA)
'81 Toyota Tercel (not one of Toyota's better efforts)
'86 Chevy Nova (a Toyota Corolla clone)
'89 GMC S-15 pickup
'98 GMC Sonoma pickup
'05 Chevrolet Malibu LT (current). 18 months old, and just hit 40,000 miles last week.

With the exception of the first two (which were previously driven by the family), all were new.

For you, you might want to consider a Kia or a Hyundai. They have good warranties (10 year/100,000 miles), and the prices are pretty hard to beat.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

==&gt; Why. Well in the UK you cannot drive without insurance and it will cost you well into 4 figures (GBP) per year to insure this car.

The cost of insurance is a very good point. In the USA, single males, under the age of 25, pay a premium for auto insurance, especially if the vehicle is classified a sports car; and that's with a good driving record. I would suggest that before you choose any vehicle, you look into the insurance costs for that vehicle.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Thanks for everyone’s input. I already looked into all associated costs (insurance, fuel, maintenance). I was trying to get an idea on how your vehicle (and image) could effect a career path. I plan on buying a 2007 GTI. See you on the highway. Cheers!

From
Base MSRP†: $ 21,990
Destination Fee: $ 630
Black Magic $ PKG
Wheels: 7.5J x 18" Hufeisen Alloy $ 750
DVD-Based Navigation System $ 1,800
Rubber Mats (Set of 4) & Trunk Liner $ 185
Basic Ground Effects $ 1,599
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/DSG & Tiptronic® $ 1,075
Package #2 w/SIRIUS™ Satellite Radio $ 3,160

Total MSRP: $ 31,189

he he he !!!!!

Had a company 2003 (Brand New at the time) Golf TDI for a week (on a residential course) - was a little way from where I went to college (Staffordshire in the UK - middle of nowhere, windy country lanes)
Suffice to say you could hear the turbo kick more times than youv'e had hot dinners ........ good fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back