Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stpes for creating cube 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenshindhe

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
GB
Hi,
Please anyone let me know
Wat are the steps in creating a cube.
Thanks
naveen

It depends exactly on your own setup, and your source files.

Normally I use Impromptu as my source for my data & I am giving a quick version from start to finish. I also assume you have already set up Impromptu & the required catalogs.

1) use impromptu to get report(s) needed. I often use several, some as transactions some as dimensions. Save each report as an IMR and as a IQD files.

2) create a new model in transformer, using the above iqd files as inputs(perhaps some other various sources that don't come through Impromptu). Create dimesions & measurements as required here. This step takes some practice for the advanced cubes, but the basic ones are explained in the tutorial & pdf manuals in greater detail. If you use several queries (from step 1), you must make sure the the dimesions in both match up. This is case sensitive to the field names as well as the field contents. Turn on the uniqueness for these "matched" fields.

3) test the cube for errors & completness of the dimesions. If the cube will take a while to generate, test using a small sample.

4) open the cube (mdc file) in powerplay & make sure the cube contains what you hoped it would. Check manually back to the source data to make sure your measerments are calculating correctly.

5) In PP make a report/ graph & save as a ppr file (template which is saved on top of the mdc cube) This keeps the report format, so the next time you run the cube, it will be automaticlly updated.

6) Keep practicing, the first time it seems overwelming, with practice a simple cube can be done in a few minutes.

Good luck & if you need more specific help, please post back.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce,
Thanks for ur response.
I got
1. how to create IQD
2. how to create dimension and measures.
After these,
1. please tell wat r the steps to create cube.
like alternate drill down etc.
2. How to take 2 queries from different data source and wat r the needed conditions.
Thanks
Naveen

1)In Impromptu, when you save, the default is imr. Hit "Save as...iqd", and impromptu save as iqd for you with no fuss. I suggest that use the same name as the imr, but this is not required. You realy don't need the imr report, except if you ever have to back & change something!!(That only happens 6 times a day for me.) When this happens, you can re-open the imr, make changes, same as imr and iqd, and you're done.

2)Create dimensions (in transformer) by dragging the field in query viewer up to the dimesion viewer. If you need nested dimesions (eg city within country), drag the county to the top.

Same for the measures, just drag the field over to the measures viewer. It defaults to "ADD", so if you want something else you will have to right click.

3)Hit the menu button "create cube". there is also a test cube button, so you can run a small run of the cube to test.

4) Alternate dimensions i will refer you to the pdf files, it will explain it better than I could. Basicly you drag another field into the space BESIDE the orginal dimension. You should see something like this: (Pretend this is a screen shot..)
City
This dimesnion can show city by country, or city by sales region.

5)If you have 2 or more queries, each pair must have a common field. If they don't, you can pro-rate them, but this is messy & probably not what you wanted to do in the 1st place.

For example:
Query 1
Item, qty on hand, warehouse, planner code
Query 2
Item, cost, selling price

can be related on Item. Also note the field name and field contents must have the same capization. Item is NOT equal to item, and part # ABC123 is NOT the same as abc123.

Hope i helped.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back