Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storing Variables: Up loading & Donw loading 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
How can i do to store the variables of a flash movie in a external archive and then up load for post procesing?

example: a Counter... or submits...

FCO,
I have just recently been able to understand the realm of outside communications with Flash. You can do it a couple of ways but you need to use the same methodology. You can use either a text file or a database as your "variable storage" but, from my experience you must manipulate it through a server side application: ASP, COldFusion, CGI, XML. In most posts they say all of the above but they never really showed you how to do it.

I have finally been able to communicate with an MSAccess db through ASP. I have an example if you need it. I will post it if it is what you are looking for

The FlashGuy :)

I would love to see an example of communication between
flash and asp. I am trying to pass the value of a session
variable, created in asp, to the embedded flash object in
my page.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Good then you have done most of the work!

basically just use the LoadVariables action on the Flash side.

loadVariablesNum (" 0);

Then on the ASP side use the response.write method to get the variables back into flash. I've actually had to add an ampersand at the beginning and the end of the data to get the first and last variables passed properly.

ie.
Response.Write "&MyVarible=Blah&"
Response.Write "OutputField=" & outputVar & "&"

Relay me you email and I will send you a simple example if that doesnt help. The FlashGuy :)

if your interested:

>>>HIT COUNTER USING FLASH & PHP

>>>MAIL FORM USING FLASH & PHP

>>>DATABASE (FOR HIDDEN STORAGE OR VIEWABLE GUESTBOOK) USING FLASH & ASP

just give me a nod and a wink and I'll post the link!

dave

(just back from work hence the fact I didn't post them just now)

dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any chance I could get a copy of that sample?

dave dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

an example would be great... i've created a session
variable in asp and used the loadvariables action in
flash. the loadvariables action only contains a file
name(not variable names) so, how do i know which variables
are being loaded from the flash page?

i'm also trying to write a variable from flash back to the
asp page but it's not working.

also, do i have to explicitly set a content type to
application/x- if so, where do i
do this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dav...I would like to see the link on the counter and database you mentioned above

>>>DATABASE>>>

example at

You're browser must support ASP and MSaccess database.

>>>COUNTER>>>

Made this a looong time ago (I was sure I made a thread for it but cant find it anywhere), and havent even fixed the version that's up, but it shouldn't take you long to sort it out. (ie: it might not show the number until you hit refresh, just a simple tweek of the fla should sort it).

Anyway, there you go. Was this post HELPFUL? lol ;-) dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kelli and Dave check your email... :) hope that helps

For those of you reading the post... Answering Kelli's question :

Ok first you can append the Loadvariables with a "?MyVariable=Value" after your document reference.

i.e. loadVariablesNum (" 0, "POST");

.... but that wont just work alone. You have to request the variable from Flash in the ASP document by using the request method.

ie action= response.request(action).

I'm not too sure about the URL encoding though. You may be able to get away with either manually coding the format like I had to, or use the function from Dave's Flash/ASP Guestbook example. I believe its available in the Flash Forum .

I used Ultra Dev as the work horse for generating the connectivity code for the db. And from there I just made a couple changes to "write" the response back to Flash. (as shown in the above posts)

You will have to change the code in the ConnPPZ.ASP Called by the PPZdbQRY file "!include" statement.file to initialize the connection on your machine. Or initialize the Connection in UltraDev. From there I just goofed around with a little trial and error.
The FlashGuy :)

Actually Dave, your GB example was the source of my inspiration for toying with this in the first place

THANKS DAVE!!!!! :) The FlashGuy :)

I think he's gonna do it..... is he?........is he gonna press "let davdesign know this post was helpful".....i can't bear to watch...... #-) dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back