Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storing tons of files in C:\ABC is better than in My Documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick99

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
HK
Assume that I am the only user of my computer, is it better to store my files (xx GB) in a directory in Root rather than the user's My Documents directory?

Since My Documents is counted as a part of User Profiles in Windows, will this large profiles size slow down computer startup and shutdown?

Thanks in advance.

I have not noticed any major performance decreases on my laptop. I have anywhere from 3 to 10 Gig of data stored there depending on what I am working on.

Hope that helps

Thank You,

Roger Truss
A+, Network+
Workstation Customer Support Analyst
rtruss@mercmarine.com
Mercury Marine

I agree that storing it in a folder other than your user profile is a good thing. I have seen many users profiles get corrupted and slow down b/c of the saving of many files to My Documents and the Desktop for each user. The fix has always been to move all the large files delete the profile and recreate it. Usually I create a folder on the root and make a shortcut to it on the desktop.

I move the My Documents folder back to root, as in 9x, or to a seperate partition.

Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back