Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storing pictures in MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortytwo

Technical User
Apr 18, 2000
GB
I might need to store about 1500 catalougue records, each with it's own image of about 20 to 30Kb. Would it be possible to store these images in the database or would just storing a URL to them be a better idea. If storing them in the database is the right thing to to, how do you get them into the database?

Will.

fortytwo
will@hellacool.co.uk

If you have to insert it you can insert it as a blob. Be sure to encode them in text first so that you dont damage any data when inserting them. But you should have a point column insted that specify where they are placed.

I think I might go with the URL option as it will be faster that the encode/decode (the images will be displayed on a rickety old webserver...).

Storing the files in the DB is tempting because it would make organisation much easier though.

Thanks.

fortytwo
will@hellacool.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back