Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stored Procedures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreako

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
NO
Hello!

Have I understood i right when I say that in CR8 a stored procedure(sp) MUST return a resultset? If it is so, is there a way that one can avoid this?

You see I have a report in CR7 that calls a sp that generates some temporary tables, but the sp doesn't return anything. In CR8 I can't get this report function properly.

Does a report in CR8 which uses sp's have to use the 'IN OUT CURSOR' as an parameter or can this be avoided? If it can't be avoided what can I do to prevent this parameter to be visible for the user who want to view this report?

Does anybody understand what I am trying to do here?

In short terms: I would like to write a report in CR8, or preferably use the one I have in CR7, that calls a sp but that sp doesn't return anything.

andreako!

why use crystal to run the sp? I'm no expert but I would use something else to run it if it's not returning anything.

BRP
"if I had experience I would forget it"

Hi!

The sp is based upon some of the parameters the user provides when he\she runs the report. I therefore have to run the sp in the report, or else I won't know how to generate the temp tables that I mentioned before.

andreako!

You have to return a resultset. What else is Crystal going to report on?

If you're using Oracle, you need to create a reference cursor and end the stored procedure with:

OPEN ref_cursor
FOR SELECT ...

People tend to do this with packages. They create a package which defines the reference cursor as returning a record type, then define a parameter to the stored procedure that is IN OUT of type <ref cursor package>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back