Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stored Procedures from Crystal 8.5 to 10 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madawc

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
GB
We're in the process of moving from 8.5 to 10. With reports that use Stored Procedures, it keeps saying that the existing set-up is wrong and that I should be using 'Business Views'. I've tried using Help and could find no clear indication of what this actually means.

I've also tried creating a new report and linking it to the old Stored procedure, the one I created using SQL Design. This works, but it still tells me off and says I should be using 'Business Views'.

About 50 of us use Crystal, and the actual download and set-up functions are done by the Technical Department within IT.

We also have SQL QUery Analyzer and its 'About' refers to SQL 8.00. With Crystal 8.5, I'd use it to develope the Stored Procedure and then link it to Crystal via SQL Design.

I may be overlooking something quite simple. But can someone please explain what's going on.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Business Views are Crystal's new proprietary equivalent of the old Crystal Query Designer, or BO's Universes.

In general I suggest avoiding them unless you have some important requirements that they satisfy, such as security or you cannot create database objects.

I can't recall getting that message, but it sounds very annoying to me, does this happen in CR 10, or CE 10, or both?

Please post the exact error.

-k

synapsevampire, are you saying that I simply go on using the old method? I understood that CR10 gave one better handling of SQL, but I've not yet discovered how.

I've only got Crystal Reports on my machine, and I don't handle the Crystal Enterprise side. If I find out, I'll post the answer here.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

I am currently using Crystal Reports 8.0 and Sql Server 7.0. We are thinking of upgrading some people to CR 9.0. If I bring a CR 8.0 report into CR 9.0 and modify it, can I save it back to CR 8.0 format to be used by people with CR 8.0?

Thanks for your help.

Sue

No, once a report has been opened and saved in CR 9, it can't be opened by an earlier version. Just make sure you have backups of the existing reports created in CR 8 before converting them to CR 9 if you'll need to use them in v8 again.

-dave

Hi,

I had worked with both CR8.5 and CR10 with Oracle as Database. Business view is confusing stuff and only shipped with Crystal Report 10 Advanced edition but CR 10 Professional edition which I'm using right now.

I really doubt about the fact that whether anyone have been using Business view successfully on CR 10 or not.

Ted

Hi,
I have ( and am) using Business Views in CR ( mainly to test some features) - Just log into the repository ( requires one of course, we have CE 10 also) and use the view as a data source..

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back