Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

store.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyfill

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2003
BE
hey ,

yesterday ive installed symantec antivirus for exchange .
since then the process store.exe uses +/- 60 % of my cpu and about 600mb of ram

is this normal or do i have a problem here ?

greetz groovyfill

Just be sure that the anti-virus progrom doesn't check anything of the exchange infrastructure.

You beter check this on the symantec site. There are usefull hints for configuring symantec anti-virus on exchange server.

greetings,

SPeeDyT

obviously newbs...

before posting, search the forum - most things have been answered. store.exe has been done to death.

idd i am a newbie in this forum

that's life hé ...once u was also zelandakh

greetz

its seems to be normal ..

sore.exe will eat all possible ram ...but gives it back when other apps need it !

but another questions for the experts ...

is there somehow some way to limit it ??

i have an SBS2000 so my exchange is on the pdc with sql & proxy &etc

i dont want exchange to eat all of ram ..just 1 a 1.5 gigs

does anyone knows this answer

???greetz groovyfill

Is this Symantec Antivirus/Filtering for Exchange 2000? What version,build are you running?

idd this is symantec antivirus-filtering for exchange

its an enterprise edition 8.5

greetz groovyfill

Some of the basics on file scanning AV on Exchange servers is to exclude all the EXCHSRVR folders (plus wherever you may have moved the database and/or log files) from real-time scanning. Symantec makes NAV for Exchange, which is scans the Exchange engine using the VS API (virus scanning API). I think they are up to version 3.0 at this time.

I have seen real-time AV quarantine some of the Exchange database or log files, and get the databases corrupted.

As far as the store using 600 MB of CPU - it's normal. The more RAM you add, the more Exchange will use. You should really not run SQL and Exchange on the same box - they are both memory hogs.

Georgesz

hmmm i know

..but i have no choice with SBS2000

is there realy no way to limit the max mem of store.exe ???

greetz

Groovyfill

You cannot limit the RAM Exchange takes. However, I think the utilization problem can be resolved with the Exchange AV.

Georgesz

I seemed to have found a workaround. Create a batch file with this in it.

net stop "microsoft exchange information store"
net start "microsoft exchange information store"

you may have to add lines for other services that are dependat on this, i.e. symantec services.

use the task schedular to run it every day when users are not in. This worked for me.

Dont know if this has anything to do with it but it only happens on my AMD MP processor servers not my Intel ones??

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back