Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STORE.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmooney

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
SE
has anyone any meetings with Store.exe. Its in the process in the task manger. and maxes out the RAM. This mean that we have to reboot the Exchange server every second day. Has anyone any ideas.

the store.exe will always consume most of your system's ram, but should not cause the server to be sluggish. are you rebooting because email is slow or because you think you have to? Is anything else running on this machine?

I reboot the machine because it comes to such a stage that the exchange server just stops, and then once anyone goes to there email they cant access the server, but once I reboot the server, its grand for about 2 days.

We suffer exactly the same problem with our exchange server, we lose all email facilities and rebooting also clears our problem. We only reboot when the thing crashes I think it depends mainly on whats happening and size of mailboxes. Beyond that can't really help.

Only solution we have is add more RAM - which is really cheap at the moment.

if you can't add more RAM, then run the Performance Optimizer and set a memory usage limit...

I assume by doing this the exchange system will q any items until RAM becomes avaliable. What happens if the RAM is MAXED out for long durations...??

well, yes and no. Store.exe was intended to use like 90% of available system RAM (expecially on servers that had no other important processes running), and to give some of that back if another process needed it. Not that it actually NEEDS that much RAM, just likes to hoard it, in case something big comes up (like a 50 MB email...). So, if you put a cap on it, depending on how much you decide to restrict it, you may not see a big performance hit because it might not actually need it in the first place. Does that make sense? I feel like I worded that poorly....
Anyway, if that cap is reached, then yes, you'll see a queue. But it's more likely that that queue will clear up than continue to build up over time...

I don't believe that limiting the memory available to the store will solve your problem, but it's worth a try. Something you should look at is circular logging. If it's enabled and you have a lot of e-mail traffic, this could cause a performance problem.

If circular logging is enabled (which it is by default), then exchange will only use 5 transaction log files (which is where messages reside until they are processed into the priv.edb or pub.edb. Since these files are never larger than 5MB, the system will become sluggish when there is a lot of mail to process. Another drawback to circular logging is that, in the event it is necessary to restore from backup, you can only restore to the time of the last backup - which means that if your backup was performed at 11:00 last night you will lose all messages that were received after that time.

Circular logging should be disabled, but with a caveat; ensure your using an exchange-aware backup program so that unneeded transaction log files (those that have been committed to the database) are deleted following the backup. Also, once circular logging has been disabled you should run the optimizer so that the log files are on a drive with plenty of space. When circular logging is disabled, the only limit to the number of log files is the available disk space. When space on the drive containing the log files gets below 10MB, the Information Store Service will stop - that's why you must have an exchange-aware backup program.

In case you're curious, another note: Even with circular logging disabled, there will always be at least five transaction log files. That's because Exchange wants to see the last five log files during startup, even though they will have been committed to the database during shutdown. Also, if it seems to take your server a long time to shut down, it's because the IS service will not stop until after all the transaction log files have been committed. I've seen this take 20 minutes on some servers.

Good luck,
Bob

p.s. Sorry if this seems like a disertation.

I had the same problem too. Only solution: "Add more RAM". Supporting about 1200 users, with 1 Gbyte RAM our Exchange is happy now, using about 750 MByte at the moment.

Greetings
ZNM

I too was having similar problems with my exchange server. my solution was to add more memory and scheduel IS Maintenance to run late at night when there is little activity on the exchange server.

I have not had any problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back