Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store.exe process allocating more memory than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwright

MIS
Apr 24, 2006
US
SBS2003, Exchange 2003, 2GB RAM.

I am getting the following alert:
"The store.exe process is allocating more memory than usual."

I have searched and have not found a fix, just some articles about disabling the alert and that this is normal behavior after applying SP1. This may be considered "normal" but it is affecting performance.

After getting the notifications checked Task Manager and store.exe was using over 900,000K.

I restarted store service (and the other dependents) and it now is using 60,400K and increasing. I am now having to stop and restart these services nightly.

The store is huge - over 19GB (don't ask). I upped the limit to 25 using a MS article that explains how so that is OK.

Is there a fix? I recently edited boot.ini for /3GB and /USERVA=3030 but then found where they do not recommend this because it is also a domain controller. I reset it but have not rebooted yet.

You don't need the boot.ini if you only have 2GB of RAM. Check the page file setting.

900MB for Exchange on SBS with 2GB is about right. Apply Windows SP1 then Exchange SP2 again just in case.

19GB is tiny. Limit should be 45% of the volume size that it sits on as a max.

You shouldn't need to stop Exchange services.

How's the backup strategy?

Thanks for the reply.

Boot.ini - I've reset it back to how it was. I still need to reboot though.

Pagefile - It was set as:
C: = 2046-4092
D: = None
What would you recommend? Should I change to "System managed"?

I'd rather wait to reapply the Service packs, but thanks for the suggestion.

19GB is tiny? I recall the initial limit (per MS) was 18GB.

Stopping Exchange services - Agreed, but that is the only cure at the moment.

Backup strategy - I'm using Backup Exec w/Exchange agent and all is fine there.

SP2 raised the DB limit to 75GB for Standard.

19GB is tiny for Zel's environment!

Don't reboot immediately.
System managed - yes.
Reapplying service packs may well resolve the problem, it normally does.
19GB really is tiny. Exchange Standard was 16GB maximum then SP2 allowed that to be 18GB up to 75GB.
Stopping services. Apply SPs and restart, may well cure it.
Backup Strategy - good. Really good. When did you last do a server level restore? Dumb question but you are doing store level backups not brick level right?

Don't reboot immediately - OK

System managed - Thanks

Reapplying service packs may well resolve the problem, it normally does. - OK, will do.

Stopping services. Apply SPs and restart, may well cure it. - thanks, will do.

Backup Strategy - good. Really good. When did you last do a server level restore? - Never. I am new here and do not have resources at the moment.

Dumb question but you are doing store level backups not brick level right? - (Dumb answer) I just looked and they have both selected. I'm not the sharpest knife in the Exchange drawer (you couldn't guess huh) but I thought brick level had advantages store level did not. Your question indicates otherwise. I'll have to research that to find out why it was setup like this initially.

Thanks for the reply.

Backups - doing both takes longer but is belt and braces. If it gets done out of hours and is finished before people come in of a morning, leave well alone.

Not the sharpest knife? Sensible questions asked to gain knowledge. I'd say that makes you a "cut" above the rest.

On the restore front - create a folder in your own mailbox, drop a couple of emails in it. Leave overnight. Delete folder, restore just the folder from the backup - i.e. just tick the folder itself. That will at least test SOMETHING can be restored.

Backups thanks.

Knife in drawer - hahaha, very punny. ;)

Restore - I misunderstood your question about a server level restore. I thought you were saying to restore the whole store. I have test restored folders and messages, albeit it was a while ago. Another test is in order so I will follow your advice for tonight's backup.

Test restore was successful.

I got the alert again about store using more memory... I have not rebooted yet but I will try applying the patches first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back