Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

store .EXE local or on server for better performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrit Broekhuis

Programmer
Aug 16, 2004
NL
Hi,

One of my apps (VFP7 SP1) is an .EXE stored on a Windows 2003 server, with the DBF's in a separate directory. All net ork clients have a shortcut to this .EXE file. Only the runtime files are installed on the workstation.

Can I expect a performance increase when rebuilding my app to have the app installed on each workstation and have only the DBF's stored on the server?

Who has experience with this?

Regards,

Gerrit

Hello Gerrit, the best choice is install the .EXE and the runtime into the workstation and the Database/Tables into the server(I always use this way). For example, you have several programs into .EXE and you need to generate a new .EXE to correct a bug(the program with problem is used only for one or two users). When you generate the new .EXE, only you can replace the old .EXE to the Workstation(s), but if you have to replace the .EXE into the server, you need to logout all the user from the Aplication and then replace it(some times you need to call several users for logout). I place the New .EXE into Update Area in my Server, when you Login to the server I replace the Old .EXE with the new .EXE each time the user Login to the Workstation, with that, the .EXE is replaced for each user.

After

Best Regards from Panama,

Marlon

Hi Marlon,

I agree with you that your approach is a good practice. However, I have only one .EXE in this case and updating the EXE during office hours is not realy a problem.

I'm just wondering if there is a performance difference as well.

Regards,

Gerrit

Hi pa33avjj,

you won't see a great performance gain, but no loss either. Don't turn away the argument of needing an update. If you one day have a fatal error you'll be glad you can update during office hours.

I've seen people doing it that way complaining, that with one user the app runs quite fast, but with just the second user becomes slow. Just to avoid that, install the exe on each client. You may link each user to a cmd or bat file containing an appropirate xcopy32, maybe need to update your PATH setting and you're done.

Bye, Olaf.

Gerrit,

The application will usually load faster if it is installed locally, but you won't see a huge performance gain once it has started running.

Re the problem of updating the EXE during office, this is a familiar issue. See the article "Installing new copies of VFP executables" at for a possible solution.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Gerrit,
While I agree with most of the comments, if you have a large .EXE, and your workstations have a limited amount of RAM and the network is slow (or very busy), you can experience a difference when switching forms or calling procedure files. Remember that almost all of a VFP "code" file is really just a read-only data file to the VFP runtime. When it doesn't have enough memory locally to store the whole file, it just brings down the part it needs, and this can cause a lot of additional network traffic.

Rick

I am late jumping in, but agree with Rick and Ramani. I have worked on networks where the performance is much faster running the exe locally. I have never experienced the opposite situation.

Using a launch program, in my opinion, is the way to go. It allows you to update anytime and usually increased performance by running locally. I believe the is an FAQ on how to use a launch program.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back