Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

store.exe keeps stopping (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

got a bit of a problem which has been going on for a while now- i am running exchange 5.5 on nt 4.0, all service packed up etc, but every so often i get the following message on the machine-

Store.exe

The instruction at "0x77f64963" referenced memory at "0x00000d01"
The memory could not "read"

Click ok to terminate
Click Cancel to Debug

at this point the information store service has stopped so users cannot get into their mailboxes.

If i click ok then the window shuts, if i click Cancel (to debug) it goes through all the commands (dont really understand most of this) but it finishes after the following lines:
Module load: c:\exchsrvr\bin\store.exe
Thread terminate: process=0, thread=102, exit code=0
Second chance exception c0000005 (access violation) occured
Thread Stopped

To be honest this is not much help to me but might mean something to you like! once this happens to get everything restarted all i have to do is go into services and restart the information store service, and it restarts fine and the problem doesnt reoccur- until another random time.

I thought this may have been to us getting very large emails (a user was receiving 4 copies of a 60mb file) so i have put a limit of 5mb on files we can receive- but that didnt sort it the problem occured again last night.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

iam not sure why this is happening. I would try reapplying SP4 for exchange and relevent the relelevt hotfixes.

DO you have any users using outlook 2003 ? if yes, then allpy the hotfix for that as well, as that is known to be causging the store to hang.

Outlook 2003 will cause a Dr. Watson with the error code: 0xc0000005 whenever someone tries to create or modify a rule. I have not tried applying the patch for this as we don't see it very often, so I don't know if it works. If you have applied the patch that is specifically for this issue and you still have the problem, call Microsoft. They are supposed to offer no-cost assistance in these cases.

Have you got plenty of free disk space? Exchange likes room to breathe - assuming you have it spread around several hard disks, as you are supposed to, is one of them getting tight for space?

I`ve had problems with that before.

Try and run a eseutil /g on your priv.edb just to check the integrity of it. I would not use any of the other eseutil's until you have done everything else that you can think of but the /g should not hurt anything. If you get an error you can work from there.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

The instruction at "0x77f64963" referenced memory at "0x00000d01"
The memory could not "read""

Would that not point to a RAM issue?

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back