Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Store Database Size Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrymsilva

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2002
PH
Hi All,

Currently my private.edb had reached 143.8GB. I had already moved almost half of mailboxes to other server for load balancing. I noticed that private.edb size is still the same. My question is, what I should I do reduce the size or how could I eleminate those white spaces such that the private.edb will reflect it true size?

Regards,

Henry

Here this is right from Microsoft it also includes Exchange 2000:

To perform an offline defragmentation of the database, perform the following steps.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends that you only perform an offline defragmentation of the database when you have performed an operation that caused a large number of objects to be removed from the database. Performing an offline defragmentation under any other circumstances may actually hurt database performance.

Stop the information store service:

In Control Panel, double-click Services.
Click the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, and then click Stop. If a dialog box is displayed that states that additional services will be stopped, note the services that will be stopped, and then click OK.

Defragment the public and private information stores by using one of the following methods, as applicable:

In Exchange Server 5.5, to defragment the private information store, type eseutil /d /ispriv at a command prompt, and then press the ENTER key. To defragment the public information store, type eseutil /d /ispub at a command prompt, and then press the ENTER key.

In Exchange 2000, there is no /ispriv, /ispub, or /ds switch. You must specify the file name by typing the following at a command prompt
eseutil /d d:\path\file_name.edb and then pressing the ENTER key.

Start the information store service:

In Control Panel, double-click Services.
Click the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, and then click Start.
Start any additional services that were stopped when you performed step 1.

Perform a full online backup of the information store databases.

Good Luck!

Thanks All. Offline defragmentation of IS with this size will take a lot of hours for down time, is there any fast way to do this?

Thanks for the info. I am going to copy it over to a newer server with a P4 so we can defrag it quicker, then copy it back. Thanks again for the help!! Http:\\"It's the 21st Century I was promised a flying car! Where is my flying car?"
[afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back