Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

store a value for use later in report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenspanDan

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
US
I am writing a report that returns one row. i'd like to take the value of, say, the second column in that row and store it in a variable to use it later on in the HTMLFORM section of the report.

what i'm doing is building a URL that wants that value as part of the URL (actually a parameter that is passed when that URL is clicked). i have been able to successfully construct the URL, but only as a drilldown within the report:

TYPE=DATA,
COLUMN=N1,
URL=http://xxx.xxxxx.com:6500/gm/CreateNewObject?(name=N1 description=N2),
$

the above works perfectly. unfortunately, this doesn't really help me. i need to have the URL with parameters attached appear outside of the report itself, in some customized HTML of my devising. i haven't been able to figure out a way to access a specific value from anywhere else in the report.

is there a way to access specific cells in the internal matrix? am i barking up the wrong tree?

thanks in advance.

The usual method of passing a value from one TABLE to another is via the Dialogue Manager. You HOLD FORMATY ALPHA of the original TABLE, so the data is in 'human readable' form, then use the Dialogue Manager -READ facility to read the file, and put the value into a variable, for later use. For example:

Code:
-* create the desired record(s)
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY BY HIGHEST RETAIL_COST NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
-* now read them into amper variables. Here, the first 10 characters are wanted.
-READ HOLD &COU.A10.
-* I can now use &COU in subsequest requests in the same procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back