Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageWorks 4214R failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikos232

Technical User
Feb 17, 2007
FR
Hi!
I just got an old Compaq StorageWorks 4214R Enclosure, in an excellent state (like new) but no drives. I filled the box with 14 genuine Compaq/Fujitsu 18gig hard drives, all tested OK (was using them fine in my ML530 and DL380 Proliant Servers), attached the array to a SmartArray 431 RAID controller, and created a raid 5 volume. First few minutes after powering on the server, everything is fine, all leds are green.
The BIG problem, is that after powering on, the array indicates one or many failed drives! This can happen after a few minutes like several hours after power-on...
It can indicate any drive, like all, or one or two drives.
I checked many times the several points, without any issue:
> Replaced the SmartArray Controller by 5300, by 4200...
> cycled all drives, cleaned all dust from SCA conn..
> reseated EMU, I/O module, power supplies..
> Inspected all backplane connectors, I/O connectors
> checked Cable (was new), re-attached...
> tried the subsystem in my ML530, in my Dell PE4600..

To get the system online after a failure, I hot-swap the EMU then reset the server, where after that it redetects the correct volume...for some time!!

Can I reprogram the EMU's Eprom? Do I have to replace the EMU, or the I/O module? Or the backplane is faulty?

If anyone can give me an issue to the problem, it will be very helpful...before I just throw the box away.

[RESOLVED]

I finally discovered that the SCSI cable was faulty.
I replaced it and everything's fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back