Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StorageTek Timberwolf 9730 SCSI problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelseabs

Technical User
May 27, 2002
GB
I am attempting to connect a currently operational Timberwolf unit to a new Windows 2K server, migrating from an old Windows NT server. The new server is a Dell Poweredge 2600 with inbuilt SCSI card. When I connect the SCSI cable to the server, it says "Host adapter configuration error" on boot up, and Windows takes a long time to load. The SCSI IDs the device is using are 2,3,4, which are not currently used.
Any ideas ?

Have you checked the scsi ID for the Host adapter (SCSI Card)you have to specify a unique id. That may be the reason you get the error at boot up

Have you checked even that the adapter is of the correct type, HVD or LVD/SE for example? Is it and the drives seen at boot? How are they all configured, all on one bus? If yes, forget it, especially on Compaq who are notoriously incompatible to STK equipment, ask yourself, why should they be?
My best offer is once you have decided the SCSI electrical characteristics of the library and drives, you buy at least two compatible Adaptec cards, either 2944UW for HVD devices or any of the Adaptec LVD/SE cards, but not the 320 range.... they have some problems with tape, 29160s or the double version are good. Best is for each device its own bus and terminator. If any of the devices are SE, then you must use SE terminators, not LVD/SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back