Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage Groups With LCR Disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyGuy

Technical User
Feb 26, 2008
US
Hello,

We implemented exchange 2007 several months ago at our company. Originally, we had 4 storage groups set up, all of which had LCR enabled that were copying to a secondary hard drive.

This morning, I had an error saying that our E drive was full (the drive where the LCR copies to). I realized that I did not have circular logging enabled, and so we had a ridiculous number of logs, which had obviously over time taken a large amount of space on the disk.

I went through and cleared out a lot of the old logs to free up some space, and to allow LCR to continue. I then checked the status of the storage groups under Database Management, and saw that all of their status was set to "Failed". Figuring now that I had the space, I decided to click 'refresh' and expected to see everything revert back to 'Healthy' status. However, all of my storage groups under Database Management simply VANISHED!!??

What has happened here?

Now, when I attempt to create a new storage group, it gives me the error: "The parent object for <Storage Group Name> could not be found. Please check that InformationStore exists."

I am unable to create these storage groups. I do not have a "Recovery Storage Group" simply because it is only just today that I have even heard about it. I am an entry-level IT Assistant, just getting my foot in the door. I built this domain from the ground up, and this Exchange 2007 has been anything but a joy to work with. I do not understand how or what has caused this, but a solution must be found, because I simply cannot allow backups/replication to be nonexistant.

Please, anyone who has any insight on this would be very much appreciated.

Now here is a rather strange discovery:

If I login with our administrator@domain.com account, I am having the issues described in this thread, but if I use my own account (which is a domain administrator, not that it should matter), and I open EMC, I can see my storage groups, and also Outlook Anywhere says it is enabled, whereas on the administrator account it says it is disabled, and also will not let me enable it.

What the....?

You have to access the interface with an Exchange administrator account.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

It is just strange because I have done all my work on this server with that Administrator account. It is also a member of Exchange Organization Administrators.

I'm convinced that Exchange 2007 just acts however it feels like acting.

Assuming everything is working -

1. Turn off circular logging

2. Research Exchange backups and the effect of a successful backup on the logs

3. PLEASE backup your stores ... we can only assume there have been no successful backups (A quick suggestion is using ntbackup to create a backup of the store to file - then backup to tape using your non-exchange aware solution)

After you have a regular successful backup in place you should then look at LCR again, but not before.

JB.

Just a quick update because I've discovered the problem and just thought I would share:

I did a Run -> control keymgr.dll and deleted cached logon credentials.

After logging out, and logging in again with the problem account (Administrator), everything is in order, and the EMC is showing everything as it should be.

So for whatever reason, there was some cached credentials it must have been attempting to use for some account that obviously lacked access rights/permissions. How this occured, I'm really not sure.

Thank you all for your responses and insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back