Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stopping users from placing items on the desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn9

Technical User
Sep 23, 2001

I operate a windows nt network.
How can I disable users from placing any item such as mp3 files or games or shortcut to sites on their desktops. I know that I can disable download and installation of files on desktop through internet explorer, but all the internet explorer files seem to be personalized, and there must be another way than to go on each computer. What if I copied a testuser profile to my users with desktop installation disabled..would that work and what if the users bring the mp3s on disk to place on desktops.

Help!!!!!! today I saw 75 mp3s on one users desktop.

You could set permissions on the "desktop" folder in the users profile. Only give them read and execute permissions. But you would have to do this for each users on each pc.

Nick

have you talked to your users? are they aware they are not supposed to do this? Do you use roaming profiles or policies? (you could end up on slippery slope - push them off the desktop & they'll find other places to stash them)

I use roaming mandatory profiles and also policies where I have shut them out of control paneel display, but they can still right click on an internet image and place it as a bmp image. There must be some way rather that to go to every single pc even though I can get on the pc remotely..I have over 500 workstations. Yes they know they are not supposed to place games and music on the desktop but do they care....nope

Can you do anything with permissions to the desktop folder? (like make it read only)

I can but did'nt you suggest that in the long run that might be more frustrating since they will find other places to stash the mp3 and games. I am dealing with 11 - 16 year olds here.

yes i did - but you were still looking for suggestions (11-16 year olds almost certainly WILL find other places, unless you bolt everything down! Which presumably would interfere with legitimate activities).

Presumably, if you're using mandatory profiles, they loose all this desktop debris whenever they log off?

Are the MP3 causing you any network problems?

Well you could try this but without a memo telling folks you're taking away this function it could be considered 'heavy handed'. Policy in place first is always a better idea, with higher ups approval, then impliment.
Course if they never log out....
When Windows exits it normally saves the desktop layout, including icon location, appearance and other parameters. This setting disables any changes from being saved therefore allowing you to preserve a configured layout.
User Key: [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoliciesExplorer]
System Key: [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoliciesExplorer]
Value Name: NoSaveSettings
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

>> I use roaming mandatory profiles

I thought if you're using mandatory profiles then the users cant make any changes to their desktop, start bar etc. the OS won't stop them making the changes, but next time they log in the changes will be lost.

Am I wrong here?

Just to be sure. When you say mandatory profiles you do mean renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man right.

You can use your policies to set a profile limit. If you set the limit (just over the size of the profile. As soon as they put a few on the desktop they will get a message that you create and they will not be able to logoff until they get admin help.

You can also stop these files from transferring back to the server when they logoff.

Just so you know, if you leave them access to the task manager a creative person will figure out that they can stop the "proquota" process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back