Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopping SPAM - How hard can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

creynold

MIS
Dec 3, 2001
US
I've been receiving SPAM out the wazoo from the same domain (pm0.net) for about 2 months now. I really don't know how my address got in there, but I have repeatedly followed their procedure to get my address of their list to no avail. They won't answer my complaints either.

I just read that I can stop it with Message Filtering, but it does not work. I have entered 'pm0.net' in the list (and 'relay.pm0.net) and I still keep on getting their messages. Is there something I am doing wrong here? We don't have the budget to spend on a third party software or other firewall solutions.

Does anyone know how to do this successfully?

Thanks

Christian

We are having the same problem. I have entered the actual address (bigspree@relay.pm0.net) and it has stopped those but if another UID is used, I am back to square one.

mojo

Something that might work is the following:

1) Create a custom recipient called "Banned". Give it the SMTP address of '*@relay.pm0.net' and go into the Internet Mail Service\Delivery Restrictions tab and add 'Banned' to the 'Reject delivery from...' list.

ShackDaddy

Also try putting in the message filtering the email address, the domain, and @domain...........time consuming but it seems to work for me.

So basically add bigspree@relay.pm0.net, relay.pm0.net, and @relay.pm0.net

Hope that helps you............

Drew

Thanks all for the info... I will try Drew's method first and see if that works, although ShackDaddy's method seems solid... hmmm... decisions.

Shack,

I tried your way of stopping spam and added my own hotmail account to it. But the message comes straight in. Did I miss something?

Display name Banned
email addresses xyz@hotmail.com, zelandakh@hotmail.com, ANOther@hotmail.com

Nothing else set. In the IMC, reject messages from Banned.

Whaddya know...? Finally ONE day without spam from pm0.net. I can even smell the roses this morning. Everything seems more colorful. ;)

I added a few entries like Drew suggested and it seems to be working.

Zelandakh, have you tried just "@hotmail.com" and "hotmail.com"? Did you check the message header to see if it came from a different server/domain, like "someone@someserver.hotmail.com"?

I'm shooting in the dark here, but that seemed to work for me.

Christian

Actually, I'd never used the wildcard '*' before, so I guess it doesn't work? I usually just include a full address. I don't use it for spam, I use it to keep disgruntled ex-employees from raging against the Man.

Did you try it without the wildcard, using a properly full SMTP address?

ShackDaddy

yeah, I typed in a single email address (my own hotmail one) and tested it on the IMC. Nada. I can email quite happily. Put the SAME custom recipient onto my Exchange delivery restrictions and I can't email from hotmail to Exchange.

So it works for individuals but not across the whole IMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back