Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopping Pop-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Okay, I've tried probably every LEGITIMATE pop-up blocking bar known to man, along with other pop-up blocking utilities but they (the pop-ups) just won't go away. I've scanned for viruses and found nothing. Any ideas?

Stop using IE. The builtin popup blocking of the Mozilla or Opera browsers will keep the pop ups from appearing. Also you'll probably want to run spybot search and destroy or another spyware/adware remover to get rid of the cause as well as stopping the effects.

It is unlikely a virus problem, but a malware problem. Run in order:
AdaWare
SpyBot Search and Destroy
faq608-4650

I find Google's popup blocker download a great help with IE...in addition to SpyBotS&D, Ad-aware and spyblaster.

I also try and do most of my browsing with opera.

And disable the built-in Messenger service.

Andy.

Another great find is Spy Sweeper. It actually monitors your browser and warns you of things trying to access your computer.

I've loaded it on my two machines, plus I used it plus toolbar cop and BHODemon 2.0 to find some pretty nasty stuff on a customer's machine.

Just to give you a scenario they had "The Searchmall" imbedded into their IE so that whenever they click on their IE search button it would only let you search through "The Searchmall" and then it would load about 10-20 advertisements as well. It was a booger but I finally got him all clean. Ultimately it turned out to be a BHO that couldn't be removed except through the toolbar cop.

A word of caution though....when using the toolbar cop, don't start deleting every BHO you see in this program. Some toolbar/BHO objects are necessary to run IE. The &Adress, &Links, &Radio toolbars I have left on mine for sure. The others I have are things like Acroreader and Novell (my environment) so I leave those on there. Things that give a description of Error - chances are you will be able to disable or delete without worry.

At home I use Google for a popup blocker and I'm going to be adding Spy Sweeper to my repitoire!!

Hope this helps!

Along with Ad-aware and Spybot, I use Panicware's Popup Stopper Free edition. Have had no problems since installation and you can turn on/off the display when popups are blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back