Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopping attachments in messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMT

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2001
US
Is there a way in Exchange 5.5 to stop attachments such as .exe from being sent in messages?

Nope.

You can stop emails over a certain size so you could limit to 5KB any emails...that would cure your problem.

You need something like mimesweeper to do selective removal of attachments.

Why do you want to stop exe? Viruses? Get virus checker on Exchange. Software problems? Implement policies.

I use Trend ScanMail. You can scan whatever attachments you want or block which ever ones you want.

mojo

Norton Antivirus For Exchange 2.1 and above also allows you to block attachments either by extension or specific file name. You have to actually go into the registry to do it but it works very well.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Nemx Power Tools for Exchange (Advanced Edition) is also another great program for this purpose (I like it better than ScanMail). It adds little overhead to your Exchange environment. You can simply use the Exchange Administrator program to configure filters based on content, subject, or attachments.

There are also 2 service packs available from MS to load on the client. One for Office and one for Outlook2000. When both are loaded, all dangerous attachments are present, but unavailable. If you really need them you can go in through OWA and download the file to your hard drive.
There are about 20 file types that are blocked. (Exe, bat, vbs, js, shs, ...) I have not yet figured out how to edit the list of what is blocked.
Dan

you can edit the list thats blocked with the security update using a security form within a public folder and setting a registry key to make the client set the security rules from the form. It works great !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back