Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stopped receiving savegrp notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intervoice123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2006
US
Hi
I have stopped receiving savegrp notification after a scheduled job completes. Backups are working fine. Networker Version 7.2. What is bizarre is that bootstrap is beiing emailed correctly. The syntax I always had is
/usr/ucb/mail -s "savegroup completion" myuserid@mycompany.com
I did mailx command from backup server. It delivers email fine. I tested with sendmail. It works fine. What could be the reason? Thx for your time
Ragu

Hi
Can someone please help me with this as I have tried everything (stopping sendmail etc) and only the bootstrap info is emailed. Where is the savegrp information stored? I have looked under /nsr/logs etc but still do not see the file. Thx for your time.
Ragu

On UNIX/Linux, the mail is been sent as mail to the root user. There is no file like savegrp.log as for Windows.

If the command syntax of the savegroup completion notification runs fine, the only reason would be that the combination of event and priority has changed (no idea why).

Event should be "savegroup", priorities "notice" and "alert". That's all for NW. I assume you have restarted the daemons already.

Thx for your response. I notice that whenever I shutdown Networker on Sun Solaris, I have a hard time bringing it up. I stop and start it like this /etc/init.d/networker stop|start. After this, when I do a ps -ef|grep nsr, I do not see nsrmmd, nsrindexd and so I have to manually start them from /usr/sbin. If I do not do it, I get "Program not registered" message when connected to nwadmin or running any nsr command. I have re-installed Networker twice and ran consistency check on the index.
Now what is the daemon responsible for savegrp notification. Maybe it is has not started? Thx
Ragu

Actually, nsrd is in charge for the notifications.

If the daemons are started, the databases will be checked which may take a while. Then the other daemons are started. Never ever do do this manually as the sequence also matters.

If the other daemons are really not started, then i assume there is a problem with the media index. The /nsr/logs/daemon.log file should tell you more.

Ok, Thx. I wait for at least 10-15 minutes before checking the if the daemons are all running. I will look at daemon.log more closely when it starts. Thx
Ragu

Update: I am not seeing any errors in daemon.log. I rebooted machine. All networker daemons start cleanly but still I do not receive savegrp complete notifications by email. Only bootstrap comes. I would appreciate if someone points me in the right direction. Thx
Ragu

I think we need some more information. What is the savegroup notification setup like? Are the action, event and priorities setup as 605 pointed out?

Does the command in the action field work if you run it from command line or does that fail too? Have you checked your logfiles for mail problems?

Thx for your response. Sorry I was out on vacation. The command does work when I run it on the backup server. Below is the command I have in the action field. Event Savegroup is checked in the event field. Notice and Alert are checked in the priority field. I still do not get savegrp emails but bootstrap is coming fine. One thing is odd that bootstrap also has the event savegrp checked as well. Thx

/usr/ucb/mail -s "Savegroup completion" myusername@mycompany.com

/usr/ucb/mail -s "bootstrap" myusername@mycompany.com

I am curious how you setup notifications at the "group" level for individual groups - I thought you could only do it at client level, or get notifications for ALL groups..? ~THX

The default notification (built into Networker) works when a group completes. I did not set up anything at all.
BTW, it started working for me. I removed the line completely and typed it exactly the way it is set for bootstrap notification except replacing the subject. Thx for everyone who responded.
Ragu

I am confused, where did you "type this in"? In the notification fields? So you get ALL group notifications, correct? What I would like is the ability to send notofications to customers for individual groups without them getting ALL group notifications..

In that case you will need to write a script that sends the email to the correct customer based on what the group is called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back