Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Zilla has stopped me cold! What can you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naqurmik

Technical User
Jul 12, 2004
CA
After loading and executing Stop Zilla some freeware which was supposed to help speed up my Pc I've run into horror where all of IE favorites were wiped out and no matter what I try in terms of allowing cookies several sites which need cookies enabled for access send me the pop up msg enable cookies then restart your browser to access this site even though user ID's and passwords are correct. I get the same message when trying those sites thru Netscape too.

Additionally when using IE 6.0 and you click a link which opens a new window a window opens however there isn't anything there.

Here are details on the illegial operation fuultwhich occurs when I try to run my Winfax 2000 software despite uninstalling and reinstlling Winfax:

RCENTRAL caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7b9f2.
Registers:
EAX=796692e0 CS=0167 EIP=bff7b9f2 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=009cfe28 SS=016f ESP=008d0000 EBP=008d0020
ECX=008d1ddc DS=016f ESI=00000001 FS=503f
EDX=00000001 ES=016f EDI=8166522c GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 85 d2 56 57 89 65 e8 75 04 33 c0 eb 54 85 c0
Stack dump:
796692e0 00000001 009cfe28 796692e0 008d1ddc bffc05b4 bff79250 ffffffff 008d1dec bff7ce23 796692e0 00000001 79669401 796692e0 008d1e30 79669320

I am running a Compaq Presario 7597 with a Cpu speed of 600 Meg and 64 Meg of Memory (RAM) My Hard Drive is 25Gbits.

I am thinking a complete system restore is my only answer after saving what software and data I can of course. Wonderful Compaq only provides restore CD's and not original Windows 98 and other software.

Should I go this route or is there any other option to clear up this mess. I forgot to mention that I can't download Windows Updated from the Update site either.

Have you tried uninstalling Stopzilla, and setting the browser to accept cookies? You might also try restoring the registry to a time before you downloaded Stopzilla.

actually after uninstalling from add/remove - a hijack this log is easiest in your situation.
clear your Temporary Internet Files , History, Recent, and Temp Folders
Boot to DOS Command Prompt Only and at C:\ (press Enter after each command) (capitalization does NOT matter - pay attention to Blank spaces in commands)
CD WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5
ATTRIB -H -S -R -A index.dat
Del index.dat
CDCD RECYCLED
ATTRIB -r -s -h -a *.*
Del *.*
CDCD WINDOWS
Del Win386.swp
ATTRIB -r -s -h -a ttfcache shelliconcache
Del ttfcache
Del shelliconcache

--------------------------
hopefully you can d/l now
Go Here
and get all these;
--------------------------
D/l and run SpyBot , Adaware, CWShredder and HJT
Update the first two for definition files....
Run CWShredder...
Run SpyBot and Adaware
Run HJT
tutorials;
HJT quickstart
SoyBot and Adaware settings
SpyBot S&D Tutorial
Post your HJT log in Forum760
I'll be along to look too
[pipe]
when we're done
Use the ActiveX settings described in the d/l link above

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Hey Gang,
Naqurmik here (Naqurmik = Thanks in the Inuit native tonque.. No I'm not , just spent a lot of time above the Arctic Circle is all)

To Joker 19745: Yes I did uninstall all of the Zilla stuff and wish I'd never loaded it to start with and yes I tried setting cookies to accept on IE. No Joy so I then installed Netscape after download and got the same darn msg that I needed to set up the browser to accept cookies. Oh Baby!

To TekTippy4u: I did as suggested and backed up the bit of stuff I'd like to hold on to. Then I rebooted in DOS and followed your instructions as posted however could not get the last commands through as written due to no recognition ( as though it did not exist on my machine) of the shelliconcache file so I just proceeded with the attrib and deletion of ttfcache as directed. Guess what? Still no joy with the d/l problem or any of the other stuff that's for doo doo either. The only thing I noticed xtra was at start up after I enter my pass and ID at network and afterthe Windows jingle I get a Virus scan error which says "Please start the on-access scanner from the control panel applet.
Anyway i tried to get the software u recommended however a lot of the reference URL's (where I'm to grab stuff) are of the sort where the page required to open comes up ... u guessed it ... BLANK!
So then,thru frustration, I decided to hell with it all and tried a quick restore using the QuickRestore stored o the HD. It didn't work so I tried the QuickRestore CD's I got with this PC as supplied by Compaq and tried both Cntrl?Alt/Del twice with Windows running as well as a Hard boot with the CD in the Drive and all that happens is a lock up where there is no way to recover except remove the CD and power down. Thanks Stop Zilla!!! Ha HA what fun?

So what do u think fellas?? Anything else I could try beside a Format C and wait till I get enough cash to pay for a complete hardware and software upgrade

Warmest regards to all

Jerry

The shelliconcache thing prolly didn't work cause I forgot to say
ATTRIB -s -r -h -a shelliconcache (thought I could do BOTH files in the previous command)...no biggy, don't worry as it's prolly not the prob, when you boot into safe mode it'll get re-created anyway.[smile]

Can you get into BIOS setup and Set the CDROM as first boot device, before Hard disk.
Boot the PC with the CDROM in the drive, and see if you're presented with a QuickRestore menu and options.
This is basically a Format C: anyway (though not entirely (not sure))....but the way those CDs are written, AND the multiple hazards to be aware of when Formatting and "especially" partitioning is MORE THAN ANY Nightmare you've yet experienced. Please don't try to partition....maybe format c: is OK, but make those System Restore CDs work.

(the one thing that possibly could've happened (can't use QuickRestore) is you "previously" deleted the D: (Diagnostics and Tools partition - which just so happens top contain the BIOS code - not an onboard CMOS chip, like REAL Mobos have). This "special" partition could've also been hidden...ugh!

See this for softpaq and Rompaq;
See this for a little explanation

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

one more thing;
Disconnect your Networking components if possible

Boot to Command Prompt Only again
SCANDISK /ALL

Then (know this - if Cdrom is set as first boot device and bootable CD is in the tray - this is fine.....just choose "Hard disk" (use arrows to highlight choice and hit ENTER - and Immediately Press and Hold CTRL to get to Win98 startup menu).
otherwise.....press and hold CTRL towards end of POST
....and choose Safe Mode

Start > Run Scandisk

and then try QuickRestore

It's a friggin shame you can't d/l the tools you need...[sad]

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back