Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop users from messing with network settings in 98!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cenn

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
US
For the love of all things sacred! Can someone suggest a software for Windows 98 that will restrict users from messing with network settings, drivers, installed softare - everything but the power cord if it is out there!! Vendors we work with have restricted us from upgrading to NT or 2000.

This is it:

Ultimate anti-user mischief protection for all versions (except XP) of Windows. It makes a HD image and replaces the whole HD image with the protected copy each time power comes back on. (Like a ghost restore every time!) Somehow does it really fast too, only adds about 30sec to the boot. Like the ad says..."If the system does not come back up, you know it is a hardware issue."

Alex

Could use TweakUI to hide icons from the control panel. That was found in one of the directorys on an original Win98 CD (directory was powertoy, under admin I believe), and can install and work properly on either 98 or 98SE.

The policy editor might also do the trick, that's found on any Win98 or Win98SE CD, you'll have to search the directories of the CD for the file poledit.exe (or something very similar in spelling), this gives you many options for restricting access to various parts of 98.

I don't know how well these work out as I've never had the need to restrict access from users yet, but it's free and it's certainly a start.

Hi, I got a tip for ya!

What I do to prevent anybody from messing with Network Neighborhood is I goto to c:\windows\system and rename (do not delete)netcpl.cpl to something like netcpl.old and make it hidden.

Hi, I got a tip for ya!

What I do to prevent anybody from messing with Network Neighborhood is I goto to c:\windows\system and rename (do not delete) netcpl.cpl to something like netcpl.old and make it hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back