Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop the mouse roller from scrolling through records . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
Is there any way to stop the mouse scroller from scrolling through the records? I would just rather have it scroll the page down instead of scroll through each record? This has to be easy, I am just not that smart and have not found it yet>?

Anybody?
OverDrive~

run a keyword search for this. someone asked this a few weeks back. i believe the solution involved calling an API function James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

Hi Overdrive. Did you ever find a solution to the roller ball problem. I am having the same problem.

Thanks,
Tim Szrejter

Nope sure have not, I sure do hope someone out there has a way to fix this annoying little problem. It must be bigger than we all think, because the real experts (Gord) does not even know a solution, so in my opinion, either Gord has to fix it or it can't be fixed!

=P

OD

Chance! Cut that out again! Boy I wish I had the patent for that "scooter mouse" wheel. Someones livin' the good life!... I don't have a clue and suffer on one hand but gain on the other. It's a real super invention. My guess is due to its popularity, MS will probably address its effects in cases as this or maybe even pitch the scroll bars and give us an area to "scoot" on in order to achieve the correct results. When's the next Windows~Office due?! :cool: Gord
ghubbell@total.net

I did a quick search on the web and found this link:
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/msdn_intmouse.htm[/URL]
It is pretty short, but pretty technical, going into Win API calls.

Hope it helps... Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

I could be missing something, but doesn't setting the Forms 'Cycle' property to 'Current Record', rather than 'All Records' fix most of the problem? The 'Cycle' property is found under the 'Other' tab in the Forms properties.

Setting Cycle to Current Record will stop the mouse wheel from going to record to record. I don't think it will make the mouse wheel just scroll down a long form, but I don't know. In any case, stopping the wheel from cycling through all records is the important thing, isn't it?

I am reasonably certain on of the office service packs fixes this problem. Install Latest office service packs.

I read somewhere that the latest service pack was supposed to fix this problem, but in practice it doesn't.

Anyone with first hand experence?

Sorry for the misinformation. On my version of Access 2000 the Cycle property does indeed not work to stop the mouse wheel button from scrolling through records. It affects only tabbing.

I had forgotten how I worked around the problem. It turns out that I had modified my forms to always have a filter for only the desired record applied. Maybe not the optimal solution. . . . But it's not incredibly hard (but not trivial) to implement a set of your own navigation buttons that change the filter appropriately when your 'next record', 'previous record', or whatever button you want is clicked, as long as you're ordering your form with some sort of index.

The mouse wheel button is not a problem then because as far as the form is concerned, there is only 1 record in the set of records it's displaying. There are no other records for the mouse wheel to scroll to. -- Herb

You can stop the wheel mouse by either using MS subclassing solution which does work and is complete code, , or you can try this which seems to work - leave the scroll bar propery set to either both or vertical only and the form will not change records. If you have not noticed the records never scroll if there is a sub-form with scroll a vertical scroll bar. If you do not have VB and want the dll verision email me and i will send it to you

Blaine
blainedaytime@worldinfomall.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back