Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop text centering in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKinNYC

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2003
US
I worked on a machine with a lot of spyware and the user didn't contact me until his system started to lockup and crash.

I only had a day to work with the machine and with the help of HijackThis! I pretty much fixed most of his problems.

There is however one problem where all his text is centered within Internet Explorer, all versions, 5.0, 5.05 (sp1 and sp2), and 6.0.

Using Mozilla Firebird for testing shows that it's isolated only to IE.

Sorry, but I no longer have the machine, so I can't do a HijackThis! registry listing. I would appreciate any information as to how this might be fixed or what might be causing it.

What OS..? Is is 98?
In IE Go to Tools>Internet Options>Accessibility..are any boxes checked?

Sounds also like a bad .css file(Cascading Style Sheet)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Thanks for the reply, TekTippy4U.

Sorry to say, no way to check for anything now, as the machine is no in front of me anymore.

The OS is Win98.

I did delete the <c:\program files\Internet Explorer\> directory to reinstall IE, if that means anything.

I'm hoping someone seen this kind of thing from a spyware or program they installed.

Would a bad .css not show up on other browsers?

Not necessarily....

Deleting the directory does not uninstall IE..to say the least..IE is so intermingled with the OS it'll make your head spin
You've heard of M$ monopoly...right?[bigsmile]

Make sure the machine is Clean......completely.....
Go to this thread
thread615-662015 find &quot;Steamwiz&quot; entry for free online virus scanners....

Also free and great is
And here for IEradicator
so you can start with a clean install of IE

TT4U

Notification:
These are just &quot;my&quot; thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

If nothing else, the info provide can prepare me better for the next time. Thanks for the reply. :)

Use Scandisk first...then
Go Start>Run MSINFO32 tools menu...choose &quot;Internet Explorer repair Tool&quot;....you have 3 options
1. Add a component
2. Repair IE
3. Restore to previous Win Config

When repairing...run it 4 or 5 times &quot;Without&quot; restarting even though it wants to

Ya know....what a f&*^%kin' dump sometimes the web is......

I just got done writing you much more detailed info..and when I clicked to submit.....Pooooofffff!
Vanished!!!!!

Anyway I'm fumin' now....but I'll be better later
[2thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just &quot;my&quot; thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back