Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STOP screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilebalar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi.
I have a old Compaq Deskpro 2000 with NT 4 workstation and SP6a installed. When it booted this morning, I got the following message on a blue screen.

STOP c0000135 (unable to locate DLL) The DLL winsrv could not be found in the specific path Default Load path.
Beginning dump of physical memory.

I am assuming that winsrv.dll is corrupted so I am hoping I can boot into SAFE MODE and repair the file.

And here are what I have tried so far...
1)log on to this forum, got 2 suggestions to boot
a) last good conf --- failed!
b) VGA mode --- failed!
2)went to MS support site, found an article describing the exact error message, its suggestion is to install a parallel copy of NT 4 and repair from there.

I am just wondering is there anything else I can do!!! This station is part of a network, and I do not have any boot disk...

Thank you in advance!!!

Can you repair the NT installation? ie use the NT install CD and choose to repair the existing installation. When given the choice, choose to repair system files.

Failing that there are various tools available to boot from floppy to access the NTFS disk (I assume it is NTFS!). Winternals, O&O, datapol..etc do such a tool, but they are not free.

And of course, as you say, you can always install a 2nd copy of NT to access the disk!

Try doing an upgrade, use the same disks/cd you did your install with and reinstall. When the screen gets to the point that it finds the installed version and askes if you want a new install or upgrade, do the upgrade.

In addition,

I found this information on Microsoft's site:

Doug: I believe you are referring to either a STOP 0x00000135 in Winsrv.dll which is usually caused by a corrupted or invalid software registry hive, or a STOP 0xC0000135 (unable to locate DLL), which is usually caused by a missing or corrupt Winsrv.dll file. To resolve the second STOP, install a parallel install of Window NT or 2000 and copy over Kernel32.dll, Ntdll.dll, Win32k.sys, User32.dll, and Winsrv.dll. For more information, please see Knowledge Base article Q173309 "Blue Screen STOP Message C0000135 Appears at Startup".

Also, if you had started the installation of a Service Pack - and it failed to install - you may get this error becase of the wrong versions of DLLs installed. One way to fix this is:

1. Boot up an alternate version of Windows (Windows PE is great for this).

2. Look for the directory \%windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst

3. In that directory you'll find a spuninst.bat file -make sure the path references relate to the right drive letters - and then run the file. The batch file resturns all files back to the previous versions.. this worked for me!

What if you don't find the bat file in there?

If don't want to install a 2nd copy of windows NT and can handle the hardware of your system, take the hard-disk and load it onto another system running Windows NT or other OS that can access NTFS partitions. From there you can save all your files and try to overwrite the corrupted ones. You must overwrite the old files with files having the same version. On the other side, if you don't have important files or programs, install everything from zero: i installed two copies of Windows NT for a similar reason but folders like Program Files or files like pagefile.sys are still on your computer and can create problems. My 2nd copy never worked like the first one!

This is most likely due to the SOFTWARE registry hive being corrupt. There is no way back (AFAIK) without a backup or recent ERD. All the registry keys for ALL the software on your NT installation are goosed. As you would need to reinstall all your software anyway, my suggestion is a rebuild - and don't forget to make an ERD and keep it up to date!!
:-(

Hey - am I just being simplictic here or could you just do a repair from the CD??

Would this work??

qubeat,

A repair from the CD would only work if you had a backup of the registry or an up-to-date ERD (Emergency Repair Disk). This is cos the actual registry hive disk file (eg c:\winnt\system32\config\software) is corrupt, and can't be repaired or replaced without losing all its content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back