Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Remote users form accessing Internet via LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceDace

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2003
US
I have group policy set up to stop laptop users from accessing the internet (Changed proxy server to 127.0.0.1).

This works great while they are in-house.

However, when they are offsite and dialed into our w2k RAS server the group policy does not stop them from connecting to the internet. Why?

Users are tying up valuable phone lines surfing the web when the lines are reserved for data synchronization.

How can I keep users from accessing the internet through our network when they are dialed in from offsite?

What am I overlooking?

Update: For anyone else who may find this information helpful.

One solution is to uncheck the use default gateway in the dial-up connection properties. Users can access LAN resources but are unable to get to the internet.

I am hoping there is a way I can apply this setting via a group policy and am looking into this now.

You can't do this with Group Policy, but, you can with Connection Manager.

Connection Manager allows you to create Dial Up connections with specific properties, and, distribute them to customers via an .exe.

Serach Microsoft for "connection manager." and there will be plenty of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back