Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Premissions from following directories that are moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtoledo

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
We have a large directory structure on a Windows 2000 Server shared area that has overgrown with data. We are creating a new directory structure and want users to move data that is needed to the new structure, and data that is not moved will be archived to tape.

We would like to prevent files in the current area from being created and modified, but allow the users to move files/directories to the new area and delete them from the current area.

After setting up the permissions if a user cuts/pastes or drags and drops the directories to the new area the rights of the directory follow it to the new area and the directories cannot be modified.

If it were just a few people moving data I could educate them to copy and delete (that would not move the rights), but we have several hundred users moving data.

Anyone have any ideas to allow the users to move over the directories without moving the rights

Make the place you are moving data to be on a different disk and it will inherrit rights of the target. If you are moving the files within the same disk it will maintain the current permissions.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

That is a great idea, but this data resides on a logical disk array of 1.5 terrabytes, and we are moving about 600 gigabyes of data.

Now to make matters worse some of the users I support insist on using a file and path names a mile long. They map a drive 8 levels deep and keep creating more directories. When you are trying to do things at a system level everything chokes because of the excessive path lenght.

Can you create a new partition on that huge disk?

I should have mentioned your other option is to not MOVE the data but to copy it. If you copy the data it will inherrit the permissions of the destination folder.

As for your excessive path lengths, I'd suggest educating users and forcing them to adhere to a standardized directory structure.

Regards,

Mark

Yes your opinons are helpful.

All of the space is partitioned out. The reasoning to moving to the new directory structure is to help get rid of obsolete data, and all of the space is currently allocated to existing drives.

As for educating the users, we have tried, but the group we support are engineers where a large number of them have doctrate degrees in engineering and want to do things there way. The data layout is actually very ogranizied, but there is just too much detail in directory and file names.

Have you looked at using ROBOCOPY? It can traverse deep paths, log all output and even delete source files as it goes. Hopefully you have a copy of this utility somewhere. :)

Nathan aka: zaz (zaznet)
zaz@zaz.net

Robocopy is a free download. It is part of the Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back