Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Powerplay over the net before updating the cube 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaMira

Technical User
May 3, 2004
BG
Is there a thing I can use in a batch file to stop net users from opening the cube while it is being created or replaced? -something like net stop maybe....what do you guys use?

You can use the PPADMTOOL (command line for the PPES admin GUI)that accepts command line requests. you will need to create two batch files and two text files. The text files 'feed' the command line utility each command. The first pair of batch file and text file, you can name enable and the second pair disable.

To disable a cube, you can use:

Disable.bat
"c:\program files\cognos\cer3\bin\ppadmtool.exe" < disable.txt

Disable.txt
connect servername USER username PASSWORD password
kill "sample cube"
exit

Then to enable the cube after you have built it:

Enable.bat
"c:\program files\cognos\cer3\bin\ppadmtool.exe" < enable.txt

Enable.txt
connect servername USER username PASSWORD password
enable "sample cube"
exit

Of course, these can be used for multiple cubes by adding the commands to each file.

The Flex13 solution will work only if you are using PowerPlay Enterprise Server.
If you share the cube in a Folder, and have users using PowerPlay client opening shared mdc files ,it will not

Draoued, you are correct. My assuption was this was for the web as DeltaMira asked for a mechanism to 'stop net users'. If they are accessing the cubes via PowerPlay for Windows, then they will need to build the cubes to a staging area and then, off hours, copy them to the network location for their end users to access.

Flex13, yes copying cubes offhours would be a solution but - the process is organized in a way that the cubes are created and copyed mornings (that's when we get data from branches).

I am afraid someone may be using them during the copying.... At the same to forbid access to the machine entirely would not be a solution (stop net users).

What I tryed was removing the share (net share /delete) and when the file is copyed - restoring it but... users machines just stuck during that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back