Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop from automatically logging off

Status
Not open for further replies.

upplepop

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2002
US
Here's an easy question...

I have a Windows 2000 server that I have constantly running a program. However, if there is no activity over the weekend, I come in Monday and it has logged out automatically, which stops the program I had running. Where is the setting to prevent the computer from logging off?

Go to Start>>Programs>>Administrative Tools>>Local Security Policy

Expand Local Policies and click Security Options

Find "Automatically log off users when logon time expires" and disable it if it's enabled.

-Volkoff007

Not logging off the server is a security risk as well as a risk the machine can be shut down (thereby killing your critical proccess) by anyone with physical access.

Better to run the process as a service using srvany.exe or possibly the free version of " Fire Daemon " if you do not have access to the 2K resource kit.

Just my $00.02

why don't you lock the server, this will allow the process to run and secure the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back