Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop Error 0x7B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew85

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Alright... I may be screwed, but I am hoping I can be helped.

Alright, my internet was not working via a lan I had, so I decided to attempt an installation of Windows XP. Unfortunately my version was out of date (It was a SP1 version, whereas I had upgraded to SP2, so it wouldn't let me install)

So I attempted to install the SP2 version, but something was wrong with the disk, and it kept halting about halfway through the setting up drivers part of the installation.

I eventually took back the disk, and got a working one, and tried it again. Now the installation seemed to work fine, but now whenever I attempt to log into Windows in that installation, it gives me a 0x7B error, and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to fix it. I installed Windows into another directory and that works fine, but all of my settings, etc, were on my former one and I really don't want to lose them.

I looked at the microsoft knowledge base but couldn't find much of substance to help me.

That was why I came here, hoping that someone would have some advice on what to do. I really don't want to lose my settings. Could it in some way be because the other installation views my drives as reversed (i.e. in that installation, D = C and C = D) whereas Windows setup and all other installations of Windows view it differently?

I think I figured it out. The Windows installation is somewhat confused and thinks that it has to boot from D, but in reality it has to boot from C. So the problem I have is then, how to make it think that it actually has to boot from C, rather than D?

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Try running the ChkDsk /r command on all your drives.

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

The file Boot.ini (a hidden and system file) will be on the Root of C: drive, this is what tells Windows how and where to boot from.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

I don't think any of these will help. Hrm.

I'm thinking it's a registry error thing. I am not sure quite why it keeps telling me that it's having these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back