Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop endless CD reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzapuca

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
AR
hi,

Is there any way to stop an endless CD reading? Sometimes I put an old CD which is maybe damaged or written in a non Mac format and the Reading take for ever, even if I close all the application it will still keep reading. It is very annoying that I have to restart my Mac, besides I think eventually it might damage the CD unit.

Any help or ideas on how to cancel that? By the way is there any way to rescue an old file that the CD does not read?

Best,
Sebastiao

Eject the disc by pressing the keyboard's 'eject' key or the button on the front of the drive.

If your drive fascia has no button then pull down the door and look for one on the front of the drive mechanism itslef.

You might also try the paperclip in the hole trick.

Try reading the same disc in other drives on other machines.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Hi Foamcow,

Thanks for the data. I do press the EJECT key but nothing happens the CD keeps beign trying to read by the MAC. By the way there is no CD door to put a paperclip in the new iMac.

Any other way to keep it from spinning if the EJECT button doesn´t do any good or cannot put a paperclip?

Thanks,

Other things you can try:

-Open Disk Utility and use Eject button
- Go to System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double click Ejeect.menu to add an Eject button to your toolbar. Then try that.
- Hold F12 down for a few seconds (depends on your OS).

I'm not exactly sure what types of cds you're inserting that give you problems.

You might take a look at System Preferences/CD-DVD. If the typs of cds you're having problems with fall under music or picture, try selecting "ignore" from the drop down menus and see what happens.

If that stops the spinning, you can right click on the cd and use the "open with" to select an appropriate app.

You should not be having problems with cds containing just folders and files of docs. If that's the case, you might want to run the various diagnostics. However, if this only happens with SOME cds, it should not be a software/hardware problem.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

The application that is spinning the disk to read it is Finder.

Try force quitting/restarting Finder so that you do not need to restart the entire system.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the good Info! I will put a shortcut to the toolbar and see if throught Disk Utility it does work. By the way, what does F12? In Mac Os X it shows the widgets.

I am using data CD from 2003. It does not happen to ALL 2003 CD just one or two in ten, but is annoying anyway.

I will quit the finder next time.

Thanks again, good advices,
Best,
Sebastiao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back