Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stop attachments w/o false positives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJohn88

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
I set up some rules to filter for attachments that could be viruses, but am getting false positives when the sender name has a dot exe in it, such as adamwest.batman@batcave. Is there any way to narrow the inbound filter so it will not trigger if the extension is followed by a character and not a space? My rule syntax is presently: b~name=.*\.bat:spambox

Aside frome the false positives, this is working very well to stop some of the viruses which slip by the other filters so I really want to get this up (at present I am just copying messages and not forwarding).
Thanks.

SirJohn,
Unfourntatly the imail filters dont work that well (or too well depending on how you look at it), I suggest installing ASSP (assp.sourceforge.net) in front of imail to filter out spam and certain attachments.
Scott

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288
SprintPCS ReadyLink? IM ME

thanks for the reply, I had given up hope. We recently picked up the symantec add-on for imail, so hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back