Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop All Services but keep boxes open 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmank91

MIS
Feb 22, 2005
US
My school recently merged with another school and while we were running Exchange 5.5, they moved all our accounts over to a PostFix mail server. I have shut off the internet service for the Exchange Server and no longer will allow smtp from it out over my firewall so the Exchange Server is practically useless. I did however want to leave the Server online so my instructors can have access to their old email. I am the entire IT department so getting myself to each desktop to setup POP3 is going to take awhile.
BUT... this is the real problem.... The instructors refuse to listen to me and stop using Exchange's intranet mail service. Is their anyway to shut off everything except the ability to read their old emails?

Stop the system attendant service on the old server - that'll stop them.

That or exmerge the data out of the old server and into the new.

Stop IMS and MTA. Run only System Attendant, Exch Directory and Information Store, running those three services only will allow for access to the email but prevent send/receive.

That doesn't stop them emailing other maiboxes on the same server. The MTA is only used when mailing off-server or when sending to a DL.

I stand corrected, MTA stopped and internal email still works.

How about creating a DL with everyone in it, and placing it in the "Reject messages from" area of the mailbox delivery resrictions?

That would need to be added to every user and should give a non-delivery response.

Globally set the storage limits on the priv info store to VERY small so it won't allow send/receive? I'm pretty sure they would have all the other functionality.

There are probably a few other things that can work around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back