Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop 0X00000024 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novexx

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
GB
I have an older Win2K PC fitted with an IBM Deskstar 41GB 7200rpm HDD. On start-up, the machine gets to the DOS style "Starting Windows" screen with progress bar (the screen that shows the F8 option), the goes blue screen with the 0X00000024 stop error.

F8 safe mode options result in the same stop error, I have also run the Hitachi/IBM drive fitness software in quick & advanced modes, & neither show any error?

tyring to boot from the Win2K CD, or bootable floppys give the same blue screen result.

I seem to remember issues (from a while ago), with disks running up, then dropping out because of PSU issues - but I really dont know if it is connected.

Apparently this PC has blue screened a handfull of times over the last month or so, hot booting did solve the issue up until now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bit hard to advise without better history of problem (and its almost certainly not a hard drive issue).

If you can't boot from 2k install Cd, suggests hardware issue. If you suspect PSU issues, then worth replacing and trying again. If no good - process of elimination - suspect likely mobo or mobo/processor or RAM is bad - but could be any hardware element.

Could be worth resetting the cmos.

OK, I have checked all components on this PC & all seems OK, I have tried starting this HDD in another similar spec PC which has no problems, & get exactly the same result.

I am figuring that NTFS is messed somewhere? Does anyone know of any (freeware preferably) bootable software that can
diagnose/fix NTFS boot issues?

Thamks in advance.

Sorry, forgot to add;

If I use NTFS reader in bootable DOS, I can see all files / folders where I would expect to see them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back