Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stomp BackupMyPC ceased to work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDoc

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
US
I have been running Stomp BackupMyPC for a few years now to backup files (approx. 7 GB) from a WIN 2000 Server to a DAT tape over MS LAN Network.
All of a sudden The Secheduled backups wouldn't run.
I updated Backup to the latest revision (6)and it still won't Schedule.
A manual backup at my command works fine.

The WIN XP Pro has a password and when I enter it there is an error message that "keycode can't be found".

I ran Norton WinDoctor and it can't find any problems.

Tried changing the password.
There is only one user account and it is at the Administrator level.

Any ideas???
Possible Registry problem? What toool will fix it?

regards......... Superdoc

A good place to look for any problem would be the ScheduleTasks log. It can be found at SchedLgU.Txt in the Windows folder, or it can be accessed via the options in the Schedule Tasks folder via the Advanced tab.

264604 - Scheduled Backup Jobs May Not Run As Expected

311866 - Scheduled Backup May Not Run Under Backup Operator Credentials

No Backup
thread779-813466

What program is giving the "keycode can't be found" error, it sounds as if some license has expired and needs renewal?

Linney,

thanks for inputs & pointers, I will check them out

keycode can't be found is generated by Stomp's BackUpMyPC
after I enter in the administrator password to Schedule a regular nightly backup. What is strage is that it worked for years & now it hangs.
I use the same program on another machine to backup BIG files to a USB disk & it works fine. That one is also WIN XP pro, and on the same network

Maybe the keycode file has been corrupted or there is some permissions problem between the user in Scheduled Task and the folder containing Stomp BackupMyPC? It seems funny that you can manually run the backup program however.

linney,

I agree... Either the keycode file is corrupted or Windows Scheduler is broken...
Any idea how I fix either one???
Cam I copy the keycode for the other machine?? Where do I find it?

Thanks for assistance
Superdoc...

I suppose the option to run SFC /Scannow (from Start/Run) might do something for Scheduled Tasks. As for the backup program, only a re-install maybe the only option.

I am only guessing about the keycode, as I don't know your software, but many programs require a supplied license number to be entered into some message box to start using the program, the details being retained somewhere in a file or the registry that is accessible to that particular program.

Again only guessing, this is more likely to have something to do with the password and user credentials that the Scheduled Tasks is running under. Try re-entering the password that previously worked, making sure the user whose password it is, is an administrative user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back