Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stolen Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRFlanigan

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
US
A while back on one of my systems I replaced Win 98 with ME. Immediately after loading ME I lost my sound. Deciding I didn’t like ME, and after losing my sound, I did a format and installed Win 2K.

I still don’t have any sound. I am showing no hardware conflicts in Device Manager. However, under sound, the devices are all now listed as “analog device.” When testing these devices, I get the message that they are working normally.

I know my speakers work. The sound card is by Creative. I have attempted to download updated drivers, but this doesn’t help either.

How can loading an OS like ME totally wipe the sound from a system so that it is unrecoverable, (other than getting a new card?)

OH...and yes, I have checked the settings--all are set as they should be.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Home: SRFlanigan@home.com
Work: Steve@regionalinternetmedia.com

DILBERT FOR PRESIDENT!

Assuming the sound card is still working, it may not be being recognised by the OS. Try forcing the correct drivers by updating and using the I have a disk option to point to the driver disk that came with the card, and make sure thay are for the correct OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back