Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stlbdist.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

lidehall

Programmer
Feb 11, 2004
SE
Recently I installed Ad-Aware 6.0 on my cpr. and it detected some spyware that I removed. Unfortantly I removed I dll file called stlbdist.dll, and when I start the computer a prompt appears, complayning about stlbdist.dll. Also a cople of programs such as easy cd creator gave up working. Searched the webb for the file but didn't find it. Does anybody know if the file is important in any means and were to achive it?

L.H DC

stlbdist.dll is part of the PEPER trojan.

AdAware has partially removed it, but startup is still referencing it. Run through the manual removal at the link above...making sure the startup reference is gone (Start > msconfig > Startup tab)

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit'), and find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the '{2CF0B992-5EEB-4143-99C0-5297EF71F444}' entry.

Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u stlbdist.dll
Restart the machine and you should be able to delete the files stlbdist.dll and stlbdist.xml in the System folder (which is inside the Windows folder, and called 'System32' under Windows NT, 2000 and XP).

stlbdist.dll is not a Windows file; it is malware.

I would be happiest if you completed the steps in faq608-4650

...I agree with bcastner re:
I would be happiest if you completed the steps in FAQ608-4650

If you've got PEPER, you've likely got other problems as well.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back