Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK L700 MPC board HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemateoisc

Technical User
Jan 22, 2009
US
Hey All,
I have an STK L700 Library no expansion unit. I recently tested an MPC board on the L700, during my test I found that the hand will perform all steps of the init process until the cell audit. During the cell audit I notice that the hand will attempt to read the drive frame on the Right( from the inside), but I don't have any drives in those slots. All My drives are on the left(from the inside). It will make three attempts to read nothing not even a N target. Because were it attempts to read there isn't anything there. Doesn anyone know if this is a configuration error? Is the MPC board bad? Does the Board need a Firmware upgrade? Thanks All>>>>

You "recently tested an MPC board". Does that mean you took an MPC out of a working L700 to test another MPC, and now, with the new MPC, the library fails the init in the way you describe? If that is the case you will likely have a bad MPC.

If the L700 never worked since you got it then maybe it is not configured correctly. If the optional drive tower is installed (RHS tower as you look from the inside), then is it cabled up to the MPC and AC Power? If it is no longer there, have all the original arrays been fitted back again to cover up the gap?

Does the L700 give 'service required' on the ops panel? If so what FSC codes are you getting?

Thanks for the response....The FSC codes that are presented are as followed: 3381, 3329, 3311, 3109, 3383, 3313, 3312, 3007, 309e, 3106, 308f, and 3e05. When I looked up the errors most of the codes indicate a targeting issue. Which in turn leads to the hand....I know for a fact the hand is good. Is there a way to have only a single drive tower configured even if there are two towers present?

These codes mean that there are no array targets (either on drive bezels or arrays) where the firmware expected to find them. You cannot take a drive tower out unless you have the original sheet metal and arrays to cover the hole.

I have never seen a completely empty second tower to I don't know how the firmware reacts to finding one. Maybe you could try moving some drives over from the left tower to the right, to see if that makes a difference.

You didn't answer the question in my first post. Did the library work before you started testing the MPC card?

Hi mikemateoisc,
Sounds like your library thinks the drives are in the 2nd tower... is it possible you have the drive tower sense cables in the wrong position somewhere? Mashed or pushed pins in a connector? If this was a working system, I would look very carefully at any connectors that you have had unplugged.
TE

Sorry STKman...Yes the library was on-line before the MPC swap...Thanks guys I will look at the connectors closely..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back