Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK L20 with HP DL380

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangl

MIS
Jun 17, 2002
CN
Hi,
I have one quetion on the connection between the HP DL380 server and STK L20.
We are going to order one DL380 as our file server with tape library STK L20. I was confused about the connection between the machines. Do I need to order an additional SCSI card for DL380 to connect L20, or I can use the build in SCSI card?
Please help.
Jerry

More than likely the built in card also controls your internal disk. On some HP servers, you cannot use both the external and internal together. It is highly recommended to get an additional SCSI adapter for the performance you need.

comtec17,
I called to our headquarters IT Center. The server team told me we can use the HP DL380 build-in SCSI port to connect with STL L20.
Thanks,
Jerry

Excellent answer. That way you have someone to blame when the backups fail...or more importantly when you can't recover after a disk failure.

SCSI resets do "interesting" things to tape drives and backups.

IMHO...you should pay a lot of attention to the comment above about separating Disk I/O and Tape I/O on different SCSIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back