Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK L20 HP LTO2 Ultrium 460 Drive install 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

User09

Technical User
Dec 9, 2006
GB
Dear STK gurus,

I have a STK L20 which is attached to a W2K3 Legato storage node by LVD SCSI i have installed a HP LTO2 drive in slot 1 which is visible to the storage node and the L20 but its status is invalid and unknown, i have tried to set up the scsi id but it does not let me save this and comes back with invalid. I have upgraded the firmware on the library to 2.15.03 but this has not helped. Is there anything else that needs to happen for the library to communicate with the HP drive or is this not supported.
Anybody have any ideas
Thanks in advance.

Thanks

I already have the latest drivers loaded does not seem like a driver issue more of Hardware compatibility between Storage Tek and HP as the library sees the drive and firmware version as unknown

Hello User09

You are correct, it is incompatibility between the L20 and HP LTO. Your L20 code is high enough so the blame is with the LTO. If you got the LTO from some random place then it likely will not work. Does the LTO have an STK CEI (customer end item) label and an STK part number it? If not, then it may have a firmware personality for another platform, and fail to operate in an L20.

STKman

Hello and thanks for your reply

We purchased the LTO from HP can the firmware personality be modified to work in the STK L20.

Thanks

Hi

If you specified an L20/L40/L80 library aware drive and it came on the correct tray then HP should sort out the problem. If you specified a standalone drive then you should be able to convert it if you have a CRC login by going to support.storagetek.com.

If the latter is the case then do you have a library front bezel with a target symbol for the hand to fine tune against?

If all fails then I'd try get a refund or exchange to the correct type of LTO for L20 operation.

regards,
George.

Hi STKman

I do not have a CRC login how do i go about changing the personality module for the drive is this a firmware change
Can i contact HP to get this done.

Just to make sure i am clear i would also be required to change the front Bezel for the HP LTO2 drive to enable the picker to load tapes not so clear what you mean by target symbol for the hand to fine tune against.

Please advise

Yes its a firmware change. Tape drive manufacturers often release various “personalities” of the same version of firmware, which makes the tape drive operate in different ways. For example, ‘standalone’ personality will not activate the tape drives serial port, which is required for communication between the drive and the library. Manufacturers like StorageTek load a specific firmware on their LTO (and DLT) drives for use in their own libraries. It is only available from Sun or possibly an authorised tape drive repair company.

I will try to explain the bezel better. StorageTek libraries (like the L20) need a special white plastic graphic shaped like this | \ | on the tape drive front bezel. It is required by the robot to fine position in front of the drive so it can acuratly shove the cartridge into the drive. The robot will not attempt to load a cartridge if it is missing. Whether the bezel can be ordered as a separate item I’m not sure – probably not.

If you’re LTO has the wrong firmware and the wrong bezel then I would put it into a server or sell it, and get the correct type of LTO from eBay or a second user broker. It doesn’t have to be HP, an IBM or Seagate LTO will do just fine. Make sure you use the correct part number:

HP LTO-2 LVD CEI3100222551
IBM LTO-2 LVD CEI3100222550
SG LTO-2 LVD CEI3100222554

Regards,
STKman

You can contact Pinetree Peripherals (303)776-5066 and they can update the firmware and put the correct bezel on the unit.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back