Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK 9840B - Need Help won't ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekGeek555

Technical User
Mar 17, 2007
US
Hello,

I have a STK T9840BR and I am trying to ID it with a QLogic FC controller. The drive is not inside of a library or server. However the drive is inside of a rackmount enclosure. I am connecting the FC line directly from the controller to FC Port A of the drive.

Do I need to change the LUN number in the config menu? Also there is a network port (?sorry not familiar with these drives) on the back of the unit, does this need to be connected?

Also what type of diagnostic utility should I use besides the build in W/R and L/U tests built into the unit?

Please help. I appreciate it.

Update:

I ran a W/R test through the menu and it passed. Also, I got the drive to ID through Port A.

Does anyone know what software is currently available to run a diagnostic test on these types of drives?

Please help! I appreciate the efforts.

You haven’t mentioned the OS or hardware platform of the server it s connected to....

For Windows, what about the built in backup program? Also, there are SCSI/FC toolbox type programs out there, they are expensive unless you download a trial demo version. The websites of the tape drive manufacturers like DLT and LTO have free tools but they will usually only run on their own hardware.

Solaris and Linux have command line utilities (like Solaris ufsdump) that are good free diagnostics.

I am running Windows 2000 on a desktop computer. I got the drive to ID on HP LTT (Library and Tape Tools). I am familiar with DLT and LTO programs, however they do not support these drives (which you had stated in your response).

I recently found out there is a program for these STK drives called STDS, but I cannot download it because I do not have a username and password with stortek.com.

Do you or anyone else know where I can get this program?

Tekgeek,

I'm afraid even with a logon and password you will not get the STDS program as it is proprietary software for STK internal use only. The main thing STDS gives you is access to the engineering port to get dumps off and flash firmware.

You can test everything from the front panel. It's only the interface that cannot be fully tested. However, Win2K backup program should give it a good online test.

STKman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back