Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STK 9740 FSC error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsauls

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2009
US
Greetings again helpful people! I'm having a reoccurring error code on one of our storage units, the STK 9740. It seems to be getting an inop error in the middle of the night and it is saying the error code is FSC - 3309 on the display. After I re-initialize or shut down and restart it begins working again without showing the same error at the time. Anyone have any insight into this issue?

Thanks,

John

FSC 3309 on the 9740 means a media barcode audit has failed, which is usually related to the camera in the hand (assuming dodgy home made barcodes can be ruled out).

If nobody is running an audit in the middle of the night, then I don't know why you would get this as the camera is switched off during normal library operation. It is only switched on for audits and CAP enter jobs.

Check the 9740 fsc log to see if another type of fsc is being posted prior to the 3309. If there is, that one might be the real cause.

We have an eject_offsite script that runs in the morning, that must be where the problem occurs since it puts full tapes in the cap. I'll disable the script until we can figure out the cause.

Thank you.

John

Thanks again for the reply, where is the fsc log file located?

Regards,

John

The logs are part of the operator panel menu. In the menu system the 'execute' button means YES and 'menu' button means NO. To get to the logs I think it is
1. Press menu twice
2. Press execute once

The library stores the most recent 20 errors. The most recent is listed first. Each 2 line log gives you the timestamp, the fsc, # hits, and a one word description.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a more detailed log of the errors. The examine FSC log on the front panel has the data:

#33A9 None 1416

then

#3384 None 2865

then

#30B2 None 3

then

Fsc #3309 None 47

It looks like it stops just under the first cleaning tape, I'll see if I can pop the tape out around there to see if its a bad barcode.

That means:

33a9 x 1416 hits
"Gave up trying to read cartridge label"
3384 x 2865 hits
"Cartridge label could not be read...will retry"
30b2 x 4 hits
"The access door was opened"
3309 x 47 hits
"Media barcode audit has failed"

Sure looks like a barcode problem. If you have a window at the front then you can see what's going on. If it struggles to get past the master barcode fixed to the library it could even be a hand problem.

Excellent information, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back