Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stk 9714 unknown device type specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgo4

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
our stk 9714 silo has 4 dlt4000 drives, yesterday drive 1 would not load media issueing 'uknown device type specified' from within Omniback GUI & UMA interfaces. The silo has been IPLd and all devices are claimed. Can anyone offer any advice why this has happened and how to resolve swiftly?, thanks Ian M

Yeah sure I can offer advice but you might not like it. :)
rm -r OmniBack :)
Acttually I would start with the OmniBack software. Bring down the timberwolf library (STK 9714) and reboot the backup servers. I had problems with my L-700 dropping a drive every now and then. I would try with a reboot of my Scsi-Fiber Channels, backup servers, and tape library. Let me know if that works.

Chris

Hi Chris, although Omniback can be slightly pnickerty I wouldnt go as far as removing it, as for the applications it backs up I would defo remove them!!!!. Unfortunately, we dont have a separate backup server and taking the host server down is nigh on impossible. I managed to resolve the problem yesterday by manually loading/unloading tapes to/from the drive in question and then IPL'ing. This was followed by a few test backups which used the robot arm successfully. However, I wasnt about to perform cartwheels around the office until we had extracted a good backup. This was a good move as once again that particular drive has dropped off agai which means the online backup of SAP will not complete in time before the next scheduled run kicks in. The silo has no maintenance contract (it expired on Feb 2nd) as we have an LTO library being installed this Saturday (later than expected). There is a god!. Anyways, for the time being i am perservering with the problem in hand as ideally one good backup before saturday is required. Thanks Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back