Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Still Having Problems With Final DVD Playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX
Hi Akribie

I am still haveing major problems with my final DVD. (customer weddings, birthdays, etc.)
I have been useing file>export>movie and sending this to My Documents where I pick it up with Nero Vision for final burning to disc. These all play great on my Philco player and two of my friends LG players, but now 2 out of 3 customers have returned saying that their disc will not play on their DVD players.

I took your advice from before and tried file>export>DVD. All settings were per PP2 Help. The resulting piece of crap wouldn't even play on my Philco. Just a bunch of popping, static and little green lights over the top of my video.

Two questions:

1. After editing and titleing, what is the best way to burn a final disc? Use the Nero Vision thing? Or does everybody else burn their discs right out of PP2? (which, obviously I didn't do right)

2. How can I go about reburning the videos that my customers have returned? I have deleted all evidence of these videos from my compu for the sake of HD space.

What is the format of the DVDs you burn (+R, -R, +RW, -RW)?

I have found in my dealings with customers that -R is generally more universally accepted, however there are times that a customer requires +R media. I stay away from the rewrite DVDs.

In these cases, you can simply use your DVD copy software to translate from -R to +R, or vice versa.

DVD +R and DVD-R are characteristics of the chosen media, and are not changeable from one to the other under software control.

I've mostly used DVD-R up till now, but these tend not to play on some older players. I currently favour DVD+R media with the burner set to DVD-ROM booktype, which seems to work with even more players than DVD-R.

Akribie,

Not sure what you mean by not having DVD+R/-R changeable under software control.

For example, from my experiences dealing with customers, if the DVD+R does not work, I can simply use it to copy to a DVD-R (or vice-versa). I do not have to go back to original burning software to dictate what type of media I am burning. I've yet to see that not work for any customer. I'm fairly certain most burning software is able to determine the type of media being used.

Also, isn't DVD-R an older media type than DVD+R? From the forums and tech papers I've read, it's stated that DVD-R is more compatible with older players, while the DVD+R is more compatible with new players.

That being said, I too favor +R over -R because it seems to be more compatible with the current market.

Just curious - your post surprises me.

What I mean is that DVD-R media is required to burn to DVD-R and DVD+R media is required to burn to DVD+R. It is not possible to burn DVD-R media to DVD+R standard or vice versa. The selection is made automatically by the burner driver depending on which media is inserted, and does not affect the authoring software directly.

I have found DVD-R to be most compatible with most players, but some older players prefer DVD-ROM, which can be burned by changing the book type of the DVD writer for DVD+R media. Like you, I like to offer an alternative to clients who find that they cannot read their original format, whichever that was.

Ah - I see where the misunderstanding originated. You always have sound advice - as good as anything I can usually offer - thus my confusion.

Well, I thank you for all of your advice. And to another dozen or so responses on another forum for the same problem. But, I have to disagree with y'all just a bit. I have found that if a DVD+R does not work on a customer's DVD player, neither will a DVD-R, regardless of age/brand of player and regardless of brand of disc medium. And, conversely, if a DVD+R does play well on customer's machine, so will a DVD-R. In other words, either everything does, or nothing will.

I have mentioned before that a friend videos weddings and other events just like me. She does not even have a computer, so she does no editing. She just hooks her JVC camera to a settop player/recorder and burns a disc, hands it to the customer, gets paid and never has any complaints.

So I went down and bought a Panasonic settop DVD player/recorder. I now export my edited video from PP2 to movie. I then burn it with NVE. I take this NVE disc and put it in my settop player, connected to my settop player/recorder and burn a final disc. So far, results have been good (although I have only done this once to-date), the NVE disc wouldn't play on a customer's player, but, useing my new (expensive-slow) system, it plays well.

I tried everything in the book, and every single suggestion- with absolutely no luck. I got tired of customers coming back and telling me where I could stick my disc.

Sorry to hear that. Not my experience, I'm glad to say.

I guess it is possible that players for different formats (I work in PAL in Europe) are differently fussy about the disk they will play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back