Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

still having ip problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajkam

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2001
US
Hi guys,
It has been quite a while now that i have been struggling with ip configuration on solaris 8.0(intel).i have done 2 installations on 2 different intel boxes.I have configured all the necessary /etc files that include hostname.interface,defaultrouter,defaultdomain,nodename,resolv.conf,nsswitch.conf,hosts and netmasks.i have even used the ifconfig command to assign the ip address.This is what happens.On one machine(new installation)bootup error:unable to assign requested ip address.when i use the ifconfig to assign,it gives the same error.On the other machine however
at bootup there are no errors but ip is not assigned by the etc files.Using ifconfig,i can assign the ip but cannot ping outside router.Probably because the software is not reading the etc files properly and is not configured with a default gateway.There is a defaultrouter file with the ip address of the router but is not apparently parsed by solaris.I have been trying all kinds of combinations all day and need help.Is there a command to view all ip configuration(like ipconfig/all in windows)?And is there a command to configure default gateway and dns?By the way we are using internal ips and a nat enabled dsl router.all windows stations work fine and the nat is transparent on the network since all the stations point to it with the default gateway configuration.

On one of the stations,ifconfig -a would show me the loopback address on both the loopback adapter and the elxl0,and on the other i would see the loopback and the dnet0(dlink)with ip 0.0.0.0.Anyway i have temporarily solved the problem.i used ifconfig to assign ip,then stopped and started the inetinit,then route add default,and surprisingly it worked.It is a temporary solution.I still need a permanet solution so that i dont have to do that combination everytime i boot up.i need the etc files to be parsed properly.I will add a few patches later and see.i used sys unconfig on the other server,but now the etc files over ther e are not parsed properly.Are there commands to configure all aspects of ip?How do i save the changes?

is the name in your '/etc/hostname.<device>' in your '/etc/hosts' file?

if it isn't then it won't know what IP to set this device too ...

You can use sys-unconfig to configure the ip addresses. After the machine is booted then create a file called defaultrouter and just add the gateway address to it in the /etc directory.

make sure you keep a copy of your old hosts file if you're going to do that, so that if you've set up hostnames you can remember what they were ... :)

I have used the host name in the hostname.device file and then configured the hosts file with the appropriate ip.i have also tried to assign ip directly into the hostname .device file without the host name and rebooted and that does not work also_Only The combination of the commands i mentioned earlier work .For now everything is up but if i reboot,i will have to do the commands over again.i tried sysunconfig all on one of the servers but still the etc files are not parsed after reconfiguration.Hostname is also lost.i type hostname command to set hostname but a reboot takes it out.

save your /etc/hosts file as /etc/hosts.backup.`date &quot;+%d-%m-%y&quot;`

and then do a 'sys-unconfig' as root ...

it _will_ reboot ... then it will ask loads of questions, setting it up far easier than can be explained here ...

Jon

having just read the man page ... it saves the hosts file for you :)

as /etc/inet/hosts.saved

Hi Jad,
sys-unconfig justs deletes all the configuration and reboots the server with no configuration at all.Maybe i should check out the man page on that as well.For now i have one solaris up and running and am going to install redhat on another machine and evaluate that as well.In my opinion sun solaris is the best unix flavor but is only that powerful when install on sparc machines.I could not even install a netscape plugin for flash because there is no plugin version for intel.even acrobat reader has no versions for the intel solaris.See you guys in the linux forums.Thanks for the help

Hi

Once your system is installed, there are a few things you will want to do in order to make it function well

1. Check /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.XXX
2. Set up IP routing (netstat -n -a)
3. using /etc/defaultrouter
4. Test network connectivity
5. Create /etc/resolv.conf and fix /etc/nsswitch.conf

When execute the netstat command it's shows the default router on your system.

If you are not seeing a default route
If you are not seeing a default route, several problems are possible:
There may be a configuration problem with your machine.
There may be a problem on your local network, so that your system cannot contact the router on your network.
The router for your network may be down.
The router for your network be not be configured correctly. (The router discovery daemon depends upon a service on the router. If this service has not been enabled, your system won't be able to find the router.)
When you first install Solaris, it is configured reasonably. However if someone else has been &quot;helping&quot; you, they may have done something to modify the routing. Since there are many things they could have done, it's very hard to comment on this. There's one easy test to make: See what daemon is running:
/bin/ps -ef | grep rdisc

You should see something like this:
root 304 302 1 14:55:29 ? 0:00 grep rdisc
root 96 1 0 14:08:46 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/in.rdisc -s

The first line comes from your command itself, and doesn't mean anything. This second line comes from the router discovery daemon. If you don't see it, something is wrong. The next check to make is
/bin/ps -ef | grep routed

The output should look similar to the two lines above, but with routed instead of rdist. Again, the line showing &quot;grep routed&quot; simply comes from your command, and doesn't mean anything. If you see a second line, actually showing routed running, this probably indicates that your system was unable to find a router. Normally Solaris starts in.rdisc. If that fails to find a router, it exits, and Solaris starts in.routed. In many locations, in.routed is the right way to find a router. At Rutgers, it will never work. So if you find in.routed running, it probably means that when you brought your system up, it was unable to find a router. Perhaps the router was down at the time, or you were temporarily disconnected from the network. If so, you may be able to fix things by rebooting. This will cause Solaris to try in.rdisc again. If the router is now accessible, things will work.
If neither in.rdisc nor in.routed is running, then something is probably wrong with your configuration.

If in.routed is running, then you should investigate your network. Can you connect to other machines on your network? (Try /usr/sbin/ping 1.2.3.4, replacing 1.2.3.4 with the actual IP address of another machine on your network. Hostnames may not work at this stage, so you'll need the IP address.) If not, there is probably a problem with cabling or the network.

If you can connect to other machines on your network, then you will probably suspect a problem with your router. Can other machines on your network get to hosts elsewhere at Rutgers? If not, then the router is probably down. In that case, your departmental liaison should contact the Network Operations Group, using network-problems@tdmx.rutgers.edu.

If other hosts on your network can get out, and you can get to other hosts on your network, then there's a good chance that your router isn't running the service on which router discovery is needed. The Network Operations Group normally does not turn on this service unless they know there is a Sun on your network. Contact them, via email to network-problems@tdmx.rutgers.edu, and ask them whether IRDP is enabled for the router in your department. Make sure to include the IP address for your machine in the message.

I think the above said message is veryuseful for you and
it will solve your issues.

i'd like to let peter2000 know that that was a good link, but he's a visitor ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back