Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Still can't open web on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxnfalls

Technical User
Apr 29, 2001
US
Greeting to all,

What am I doing wrong. I thought that I was supposed to be able to open my web page on my server, make changes, and save them, right on the server. Is this correct? I can't seem to make my FrontPage 2000 do this. I do "open web" and type the name of the site in the folder window, but I get an error telling me that the folder isn't accessible. Very frustrating. Also I cannot turn the security function on. It is always grayed out.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Hello Tim-

You need to type in the actual URL of the server. For example you would type Once you've established this connection you will see it listed as a folder in your Open Web dialog box. Also you will see it listed under Recent Webs further down in the FILE listing.

I hope this helps. I also had the same problem until I realized I had to put in the above and than I've been working directly on the server with no problems.

Diana

Thanks Diana,

I have tried putting in http:\\macbagpipe.com; http:\\ any combination I can think of. It still tells me that it is inaccessible. It does it instantly. Like it is not even checking the modem or anything. But I am typing in the correct window, right? The one called "folder name"?

Thanks Again Diana.

Tim

Hi Tim-

Hmmmm... lets see!

1.)This may sound silly :) but it might actually be the issue. Connect to the Internet FIRST before attempting to open the web. Just open up connection through dial up connection. THAN attempt to open.

I actually attempted to get to and failed to access as I don't have a logon and password. However, as the attempt was successful up until a verification point on your server, I'm going to go with the concept of connecting to the Net first.

I have a direct 256k connection at work so I'm always connected.

Let us know how you did!

Diana

Hello again Diana,

I have been online, offline, upline, downline, well, you get the idea. All good suggestions, but I think I have a FrontPage with a bug of some kind. Unless I installed it wrong. (I have uninstalled and reinstalled it) Office defaults to NOT put the server extentions on my computer, and have tried installing them, but I don't think that worked. I don't know if I have to have them on my computer as well as the server, but I don't think they are on my computer at present. Does this sound right? Thanks for your patients, and thanks for trying my url.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back