Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sticky keys or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolakubes

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
Please help on a very strange problem ..

On my win2000 every now and again, the symtoms of sticky keys appears, the CTRL key seems to be stuck, i ve already disabled it from accessiblity, and if i hit the shift key 5x it seems to sort this problem temporary, but a few minutes down the road and it comes back again and most times it wont go away until i reset the machine.

I ve looked everywhere for a solution and havent come up with anything.

Any help would be appreciated

Do you have any games on your computer you play? Did you remap some keys to play those games. If so I would try remapping the keys on the key board, try a updated driver.

have you tried disabling the sticky keys shortcut?

Hit shift 5 times, then go to settings and under sticky keys hit options again, then uncheck "Use Shortcut".

Have you tried a different keyboard?

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

thx all for your replies

mrfixit: nope, i dont play games on this machine whatsoever and i ve ran norton, spybot and adaware, and havent found anything.

nlm9802: i ve tried that b4 all all the settings on the accessibilties options and no luck.

beerhunter2: i ve tried 3 different keyboards so far and the same problem occurs, i have even tried repartioning my drive and install another win2000 and the same happens.

PLZ HELP !! im really getting stresssed over this as i cant seems to find a hint or a solution as to where this problem is .

Is this a USB keyboard? Have you loaded Service Pack 4
There is a known bug with USB keyboard not working correctly. Service 4 takes care of it.

its a PS2 keyboard ..same with the rest i ve tried

earlier the whole keyboard locks itself and if i highlight a bit of text it selects the whole paragraph and i cant even type anything to log on.

Have you tried start in Safe Mode to see if this happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back